Will my PSU be good enough?

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hey guys, i'm just building a new rig to replace my old computer, which will be mainly, if not entirely, for gaming.

After some research i have narrowed it down to using 2 GTX 470s in SLI, because to me it seemed the best performance for the money, and i wanted nVidia for PhysX (as opposed to getting a single 5970, or a 480, or either of these coupled in SLI / Xfire, which seem way too expensive for the performance, imo).

Now, the thing is, through some unimportant circumstances, i ended up with this power supply a few months ago: Sirtec HPC g14c 1200W. So i thought i can save some cash if i dont buy a new one, since i already have a 3 year warranty for this one. The question is, will it be enough for 2x GTX 470s in SLI? I have the required connectors, so that's not the problem; the problem is performance: will it be good enough?

Also, i was thinking a bit about future proofing and the possibility of buying a 3rd 470 for a 3 way SLI in the future. Is that too much for this PSU, should i just forget about it right now (assuming i keep this PSU)?

So, to sum it up:
1) will Sirtec HPC g14c 1200W be enough for a 2 way GTX 470 SLI?
2) if the answer to (1) is yes, can it also hold its own agains a 3 way SLI of the same video cards?

* Also, my pc will have a 960 i7 (cooled by Polimatech Megahalems), and one 2TB hard drive, all on an Asus Rampage iii extreme. I will attempt only mild OC to the CPU, to get my ram to run at 1600 MHz. This is to give you guys an idea of what else will need power.

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The problem i'm thinking about is that this PSU has 4 12V rails rated at 20 / 20 / 25 / 25. And i know they don't just add up, so i was thinking if i should get a single rail PSU or just stick to this one, basically.

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

What you said is true, and in fact i was thinking very much about the Corsair ax1200W, which is a brilliant PSU. But replacing mine with it would put me down ~400$ (i live in eastern europe, and i already own the Sirtec one), so that's why i was really hoping there wasn't a need to buy it; or buy it RIGHT NOW rather (might reconsider in the future).

laur0511

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I noticed this as well, it's actually one of the many reasons why i made this thread. Judging from what the sticky on this board says, i think even a 1000w psu should be ok for a 2 way or even 3 way sli of GTX 470, but, again, if i was sure, i wouldn't be here. The thing is, if in the future i decide to go with a diferent chipset for my video cards, that would be a great time for me to consider a new PSU as well, but as it stands right now, many people are saying that this should do fine. And i really hope they're right.