Games going to Pause Menu

gravymakr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hi All, Not sure if this is the right forum but it was as close as I could find..
This one is really bugging me. It has just started in the last few days. The problem I'm having is that games are running very erratically and are just stopping and going to the Pause screen. Sometimes it will cause the game to crash (on older games- GOW) and n newer games (Dirt 2) it just goes to the pause menu. I don't know where to turn next.
Here's what I'm running.
E 8500 e 3.8G (been that way for 6 months, its stable)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Sapphire HD 5850
8 gig Corsair PC2 6400
Razer Barracuda AC-1 Sound
Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Last week Used MSI afterburner to OC the Gpu and it ran like a dream coming in at about 17,600 on 3D Mark 6...But now this..
Here is what I've tried:
Pulled everything apart, compressed air cleaned off board, inside GPU etc..
Ran memtest 86+ for 8 hours, no errors.
pulled ram out 2 sticks at a time to, still problems
Uninstalled MSI
Ran Malware Bytes (Quick Scan)
Updated GPU Driver
Rolled Back gpu Driver
Restored PC to back before I installed this weeks win and office updates
Completely uninstalled AVG
Fresh install AVG
Unplugged as many peripherals as I could.
Its not a heat problem, Big Zalman CPU cooler, it never get above 50
Fan on GPU was up to about 50% for testing it never got above about 65
Here's what I'm left thinking. Driver problem, GPU card Problem, or Power supply issue.
Let me know what you think. :heink:

Solution
Interesting. I'll bet it was more of a bad/corrupt Windows install than the old drive itself that was causing the issue. It happens sometimes.

gravymakr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
WD Caviar Black 640g defragged & Optimized weekly with Auslogics

Actually I guess I should elaborate more on Hardware: Apevia 700W Power supply:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148040&cm_re=apevia-_-17-148-040-_-Product

LG 23" Monitor, Samsung 22" Monitor, Razer Lycosa Keyboard, Razer Copperhead mouse, Microsoft trackball, Wacom Graphire tablet, 2 printers, WD Caviar black 1Tb backup drive, 5 fans, etc etc...

More info on this thread:
http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=2215536&pagenumber=1&msgcount=17&subpage=1

gravymakr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
had that running, this isn't lag, it's something that completely interrupts the game.
I know my Windows media Player sharing can steak up to 50% of my processor when it's trying to connect with myXBOX, but I had that Process off.

gravymakr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Hi,

I swapped the keyboard out for an older PS2 keyboard and tried it again with the same result. what do you think about power supply interruption, could that be a possibility, or problems with HD??

gravymakr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I think it was caused by one of the last updates, either windows or office, not sure which. oh well, the new drive took my windows 7 rating for my HD from 5.9 to 7.1...
:)