Sign in with
Your question

Please give advice for next step - power problems - I'm stuck!

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2010 4:51:13 PM

Hello,
I asked this question Friday but I never got an awnser and am stuck here. Hoping someone could help. My first computer build and I can get it powered on. The lights and fans turn on for one second, then turn off.

From reading the FAQs it looks like it could be a short. I have taken the mobo off and put it on a cardboard box. I get the same results.

The power supply appears to work because I used the paper clip trick to power it on and then fans and light go on fine.

What is my next step - like I said I am new at this and feel like I got in over my head now. Dont really know anyone in town that know much about this kind of thing, hoping for some advice.

Is there some other possibility of a short occuring on the mobo because of an error I have made? Should I try a new mobo? Should I take it to a computer repair shop because I am in over my head?

One think I thought it could be but dosent seem likely is that my power supply is for 530 w and my book said if I use two cards that I need 600w. The newegg calculator said I would require only 400 or so watts supplied.

The only other part of the build I didnt successfully complete (I think) is that the HD led connector isnt hooked up to the mobo. I cant seem to find that with my case or with the hard drive. Would that make the computer not run?
Thanks for any help! I am lost

1 x HD 1T|SEAGATE 7K ST31000528AS OEM - OEM

1 x PSU RAIDMAX | HYBRID2 RX-530SS 530W

1 x DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM

1 x CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3

1 x MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL R

1 x CASE XCLIO|A380BK RT

1 x MB ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3 RT

2 x VGA ASUS|EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD2 R

1 x CARD READ|ROSEWILL RCR-IC001 R

1 x UPS CYBERPOWER | CP1000AVRLCD RT

August 22, 2010 8:44:56 PM

Have you tried it with only ONE video card installed?

Verify that all the case's front panel connectors are properly connected to the motherboard, use the illustrations in the motherboard manual, especially the power and reset switches' leads. If I remember correctly, polarity matters on those connectors: the + and - connections.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:20:12 AM

treefrog07 said:
Have you tried it with only ONE video card installed?

Verify that all the case's front panel connectors are properly connected to the motherboard, use the illustrations in the motherboard manual, especially the power and reset switches' leads. If I remember correctly, polarity matters on those connectors: the + and - connections.

Thanks for the reply, I took out those connectors to plug them in again and realized the cable I am missing from my case is the system power led ,(2 pin pled) , would this make the computer not power up? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
m
l
!