satchmosays

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Hey guys,

Just recently my computer went to sleep and when I woke it back up I wasn't getting signal to they keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

I tried pressing the reset button and It seemed to reset but still no signals.

Tried pressing the power button to see it if would just shut itself down, nothing happened.

So I did a forced shutdown (held the power button down) and turned it off and then turned it back on.

My fear is that I damaged the hardware or software on the computer. Can anyone give some input on this? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I've had this happen a couple times, and as long as it doesn't happen 'often' then don't worry about it too much. The problem stems from Windows default 'Hybrid Sleep' which is a S3 + S4 state. To rule-out a pesky driver look at the Event Viewer log to determine the root cause. IMO an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply} helps reduce problems from power spikes.

Further, frequently this can be caused by some poorly written App. So it might warrant running MSCONFIG -> turn-off {non Windows services + Startup items}. If that fixes the problems then you're going to have some fun figuring-out 'what' bad App is the problem.

Gigabyte MOBO are the worst for S3 problems, so maybe a BIOS update is a good idea.

Event Viewer {[+] expand Critical errors}
Event_Manager.jpg