Compaq 1670 touchpad or ps/2 port won't function after win..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 9, 2004 6:36:06 PM

Hello. Yesterday I decided to upgrade this laptop to win xp. The
upgrade went fine except for the touchpad and ps/2 port dying. I have
tried all the Synaptic drivers at Compaq and the Synaptic website but
to no avail. The Synaptic drivers won't install because they don't
see the touchpad. The Compaq drivers install but the pad doesn't
work. The mouse I attach to the PS/2 port is also not detected. When
I reverted to win 98se everything worked fine. Has anyone else had
this problem and know of a solution? Thanks in advance. Chuck
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 6:36:07 PM

Chuck wrote:
> Hello. Yesterday I decided to upgrade this laptop to win xp. The
> upgrade went fine except for the touchpad and ps/2 port dying. I have
> tried all the Synaptic drivers at Compaq and the Synaptic website but
> to no avail. The Synaptic drivers won't install because they don't
> see the touchpad. The Compaq drivers install but the pad doesn't
> work. The mouse I attach to the PS/2 port is also not detected. When
> I reverted to win 98se everything worked fine. Has anyone else had
> this problem and know of a solution? Thanks in advance. Chuck

This is a frequent problem with old computers and XP. Google "ps2 mouse
keyboard xp". There are two trains of thought. First, in mouse
properties uncheck the option to allow the mouse to bring the computer
out of standby. Second, since the mouse and touchpad are both PS2
devices under BIOS control, it is likely that the BIOS is incompatible
with XP and needs an update. You might take this to
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq where the compaq experts reside, or to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware where the XP experts reside.

December 9, 2004 8:45:17 PM

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:39:37 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>ps2