Painting my PC case.

rionrace

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hello all!

I'm new to this site but i don't know if this is the right place for this topic,

I need help in painting my case. I already some steps in painting your case:

1. Sand your pc with a special sand blower. ( I was wondering if this could also be done with sandpaper..?).
2. Clean your computer (With a cloth, thats what i heard at least).
3. Apply the primer (I'm going for a white pc case colour, does the primer need to be the same colour?).
4. Let the primer dry for at least 24 Hours. (Correct?).
5. Wetsand the primer. (Not sanding it to the metal to the bone).
6. Apply the second paint job. (And letting it dry of course).
7. And i've also heard that it was optional to apply a shiny mixture.

I'm new to painting the computer case, i've never done it and i just want to be sure.
I'm going for a white colour outside and a blue colour inside.
Also going to add blue paint inside and cutting a hole in the side of the case for some plastic
glass to look trough. (With light cubes).

Essex

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I don't think you need to treat your case with a special stand blower, it will probably cost you a fortune. Just sandpaper the case with. Go to your lokal DIY store, he will probably know better which product to use. Don't sandpaper to much though, just enough to make some microscopic groves so that the primer can attach properly. After the sandpapering clean everything, degrease it. Apply the primer, which should be white ( check instruction for drying times ). Then apply the paint, and then you can apply the second cote. The guys at a DIY store probably would know more, so just ask them. After all, all that you are doing is just painting metal. Ohh yeah maybee you should get heat resistant paint, because temps can go pretty high.

rionrace

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Thanks for your quick reply,

Should i also use sandpaper after applying the primer?

And what you're saying is that i should use sandpaper, use primer and let it dry.
Then use the paint, and then again for the second coat?

Essex

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Not sure if you need to sandpaper after the primer.

Give it a light sanding => Clean the metal ( you probably got some residue due to the sanding )=>use primer=>let it dry=>Paint (in the color you like) => You can paint it again if you like( that will give it a better finish ).

Again, i am not an expert on this. If you go and buy the paint, just ask the guy working there. He might tell you in more detail how it should be done properly for a clean finish.

rionrace

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

I will try this on an older pc case thats basicly trash.

And by the way.. the PC that i want to paint is black.

slimbrady

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Basically, the more color/sand cycles you do the more glossy your finish should end up(go up a few grits each cycle), I've heard of people using 2000 grit by the end but that's more work than i've wanted to do for painting.....the same principle as lapping your cpu as far as grit cycles go - the more grits you skip on your way to 1500 or 2000 the less shiny it ends up. I'd probably use 600 grit after 2nd application of primer and then at least 800,1200, 2000 for finishing - could probably get by with doing 1,000 then 2,000 though. Just my thoughts - I'm not a professional painter.

budsatawny

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Not needed to paint over primer...unless you are painting a car...the wet sanding is NOT needed
thats why its called primer..paint sticks to it better...You can also after you paint it put a clear coat gloss paint over that for xtra shiny. :sol: