Sign in with
Your question

Boot Drive Setup Instructions

Last response: in Storage
November 25, 2012 6:24:40 PM

I know this is a stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know how to do it anyway but I want to make sure. So if someone can give me a step by step walk through that would be great. I have a 90GB SSD and a 2TB HDD for a new build and I won't the obvious setup haha.
Thanks
a c 317 G Storage
November 25, 2012 7:27:51 PM

Not stupid at all, better to ask before doing than to do it wrong and then ask. :) 

Attach only the SSD until the OS install is done, then attach the HDD later (that insures that the SRP ends up on the SSD). Make sure that the motherboard bios SATA mode is set to AHCI. Then insert the Windows installation disk in your DVD and boot from that disk to start the install. Just let it go through all of the install, then install all the chipset and motherboard device drivers (including video card driver) and all the Windows updates. Now attach the HDD and install all your programs, the most used to your SSD and others to the HDD.

Then optimize your SSD using a good guide like this one: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...

For a smaller drive like 90Gb, definitely turn off hibernation and move your paging file to the HDD, using a static file size. So if you have 8Gb of ram, no paging file on the SSD and on the HDD set it to 8192 - 8192Mb so that it does not dynamically change, which is a waste.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:32:01 PM

Well that's definitely more complicated than I thought haha. So I'm glad I asked. I figured I'd have to put only the SSD in, but wasn't sure. I haven't really done much dealing with computers in a while since I basically haven't had one, so is there a way to set things to where it will automatically save everything to the HDD? Or what would I do?
m
l
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
November 27, 2012 12:34:27 AM

Nah, not complicated, just step by step. You can do it easily.

You can change the default install directory in the registry after the install -- it's really easy! Honest. :) 

Open the registry editor by typing regedit in the start run box and select regedit.exe

The navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

In that folder find ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir (x86) if you have an 64 bit install, otherwise if 32 bit just change the ProgramFilesDir key. You can double click on the key and then choose any path.
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:53:29 PM

Yeah, there are just more steps. Thanks for the help. =)
m
l
May 20, 2014 9:12:42 AM

Can the device driver installs (for example scanner, camera etc.) be on the HDD or do they have to be on the SSD?

From what I understand, the SSD only makes the boot faster, but the actually operation is equally fast on both SSDs and HDDs...is that correct?
m
l
!