Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive causing lag?

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2010 8:20:13 PM

Is it possible for hard drive to cause lag? I finished my build mid last month and it was running games smoothly until the last few days of July. I figured it might have been the windows updates so I removed the most recent ones that were installed right before the lag, but still no good. I thought it was the GPU or CPU, but my temps are fine. I did however cleaned out the dust in my PC last week and the games did run smoothly for like only one day and then it started lagging the very next day. I got the hard drive from an external hard drive. I created ISOs of the games that I own to prevent it from getting scratched every time I switch games. All of these games were running smoothly on the highest settings (my games: Crysis, Assassin's Creed, StarCraft II, Batman-Arkham Asylum, Prototype).

My Build's Specs:

CPU- AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE w/ stock cooler+heatsink
MOBO- Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
GPU- XFX Radeon HD 5770
RAM- 4gb (2gb x 2) G. Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
PSU- Corsair TX650W
CASE- CM HAF 922 Mid-Tower

Hard Drive- Maxtor 6L00R0 (200gb IDE hard drive)---> could be the problem
Hard drive specs- http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=6L200R0-R&cat=HDD

I play all of the games on a resolution of 1280x1024 since that is the highest res my monitor can handle.

Thanks guys,

More about : hard drive causing lag

Best solution

August 22, 2010 11:05:53 PM

You hard drive isn't help your situation much being an older IDE drive. You will see performance increase in load times and general responseness with your PC by going with a new hard drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB drive.

As for it being the reason for your lag... I can't say with 100% certainty it is the cause but it isn't helping. There could be other reasons for the lag but upgrading your hard drive is a good starting point.
August 22, 2010 11:47:40 PM

tecmo34 said:
You hard drive isn't help your situation much being an older IDE drive. You will see performance increase in load times and general responseness with your PC by going with a new hard drive like the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB drive.

As for it being the reason for your lag... I can't say with 100% certainty it is the cause but it isn't helping. There could be other reasons for the lag but upgrading your hard drive is a good starting point.

I'm actually planning to buy the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb drive soon. I read some posts online that the 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 is slower than the 500gb, is that true? I also read online that Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit are not really good for gaming, do you know anything about this?
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2010 12:00:17 AM

I run the 1TB as a storage drive and seems to run fine for me but I ran an Velicoraptor prior and now run a SSD, so speed has always been good for me.

I haven't seen an issue with Windows 7 for games on my end. I've heard talks of that myself but haven't experienced myself.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:10:43 AM

tecmo34 said:
I run the 1TB as a storage drive and seems to run fine for me but I ran an Velicoraptor prior and now run a SSD, so speed has always been good for me.

I haven't seen an issue with Windows 7 for games on my end. I've heard talks of that myself but haven't experienced myself.

I know that creating ISOs from the game's CD/DVD and running it from the hard drive is faster than running it from the CD/DVD drive. But would you recommend running it from hard drive or just use the game's CD/DVD?

As I mentioned in my first post that I removed some updates installed by Windows Updates recently before the lag. Do you think that if I have this problem again, I should backup everything up and do a fresh installation of Windows 7? The reason I ask is because I think I removed some important files like "MS C++ runtime" (I removed of couple of these) which I thought was part of the updates.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:22:55 AM

I would continue to run from the hard drive, as it will give you a faster response time than coming from a DVD.

As for Windows 7, I don't think your issue was related to a Windows update but I could be wrong. If you continue to have issue, I would do a fresh install and backup the vitual data (documents, photos, music, game files... etc.) before hand.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:31:04 AM

Thanks Tecmo!! I'll buy the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb.
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:31:27 AM

Best answer selected by jsagaga02.
m
l
!