Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Can it fit on 1366 mobo with Dominator Trip

ungabunga

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU cooler, but I am concerned if it will fit onto my mobo. I have a Gigabyte GX58-UD3R rev.1.0 (1366) mobo with a 6GB Corsair Dominator triple channel kit which has those high heatsinks. CPU is an i7 920, and all this is inside an Antec 1200 case. I found a pic of it installed on the net but the ram slot closest to the CPU was empty and it was an angled shot so I could not tell if it there was clearance. I have not purchased the cooler yet, as i do not want to find out that it does not fit after I pulled out the mobo for an attempted install. Can somone please provide some insight.

ungabunga

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I was looking at the Noctua, but that sucker is too big and would totally obstruct my first RAM slot. The heat sinks on my Corsair Dominators are really tall. I had also considered the CoolerMaster V-10, but that one would completely rest/touch the top of my RAM heat sinks.

I decided to go with the Thermaltake Frio. It is rated in the top 5 CPU coolers.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I had to slightly mod the 120mm fan on the side panel on my case by completely cutting off a corner as it was totally hitting the bottom of the heat sink, thus preventing me from being able to close the side panel of the case. Frio cools like a beast though as using both 120mm fans in a push/pull setup to blow the transferred heat from CPU directly out the back of my case. 16 to 20 Celsius drop in CPU temp. My temps due not rise above 54 Celsius on full load so far. Once Arctic Silver 5 paste has passed the 200 hour break-in period I will hopefully see a slight improvement. It also helps that I now have a total of ten fans cooling my case (two 120mm heat sink fans + seven 120mm case fans + the one 200mm case fan on top).

ungabunga

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
That's true. I am thinking of changing my mobo to the ASUS RAMPAGE III EXTREME and upgrading my process to the i7 980 6 core Extreme. Also increasing to 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT RAM and a 200 GB SSD as my OS drive. Then after a price drop adding two more EVGA GTX 470s in triple SLI. Oh darn..... that means upgrading my PSU to the Ultra X4 1600w modular. Can't wait until tax refund time.