Can I install a SSD and use it to store backup images?

ratchet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
My C drive is a SSD too. Can I just put another in one of my case bays and attach it to one of the SATA III ports on my motherboard and just utilize it like an external drive or do I have to enable RAID? Thank you!

You do not have to enable raid and you can use it just as you would any other storage drive and put what ever you want on it. Depending on what you have for drives now and what you want to end up with you could have something like this setup. The OS on the boot drive and all your games on the second SSD or if you don't game then all your programs on the second SSD. If there is a third drive like a conventional drive you could put your least used programs , games and deep storage on it.

As Inzone says - you can attach it and use it any way you want... however... to use for backup images seems a waste.
Why use SSD for backup images?
SSD are expensive in terms of GB per pound/buck and are best for speed where you have max access needs..
backup images ... are things you write once and hope you never need.... so why spend top pound/dollar for such storage?
Orgainse your storage better... would be my advice.

Cheers

ratchet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Thank you for the quick replies! I already have the drive (Kinston 60GB) and have been using it in an external USB 3 to SATA enclosure. This method will be easier. Will trim be functional with this setup? Naturally it wasn't in the enclosure.