Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My New AMD PC.

Last response: in Components
Share
November 9, 2010 1:29:56 PM

Hey guys!!im new here. im planning to a get a new pc in a month or so, after going through many reviews on multiple forums this is the config i've settled with. Is this good?? Im from India and my budget is below 40K, i've already got a monitor, keyboard and mouse so excluding those parts here it is,

1> CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE C3 (Rs. 9500)
2> Ram - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ (Rs. 3500)
3> Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 5850 or 5770 (Rs. 15k or 8k)
4> PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme 600W (Rs. 3450)
5> Case - Cooler Master 690 II Basic (Rs 4500)
6> Motherboard - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO (Rs 5500)

I welcome all suggestions. Kindly post the prices in Rupees.
Thanks in advance!!

More about : amd

November 9, 2010 5:59:00 PM

Hi NanoTecIs and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd change this:

1- RAM with better CL
2- Cosair, Antec, Seasonic or XFX PSU. If you can't change it the Cooler Master is fine.
3- A new mobo with chipset 8xx series.
4- Maybe you can go with a six core.
5- I'd go with the 5850 or nVidia equivalent
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 6:43:52 PM

NanoTecIs:

First, you're missing a harddrive. I'd recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue if possible.

Otherwise, all your components look good to me, I don't see anything that could lead to a problem.

As for other options. it depends on what is available in your area. It would be easy for me to recommend all sorts of things based on Newegg.com pricing, but I'm not sure what is available and at what prices for you. If those are the best components you can afford for each category (i.e. a 6-core CPU or an 890FX motherboard is too expensive), I would stick with what you selected.

m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 6:51:35 PM

That Coolermaster PSU is one of their old ones, and is crappy. See the little voltage switch on it? A modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the better brands.
The Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives are faster than the WD Black. The Seagate 7200.12 (but NOT the 7200.11) may also be faster.
There's no need to spend a lot of money on the 970BE because you should be able to overclock the 965BE or even the 955BE to the same level.
What resolution is your monitor, and what games do you play? Those will determine the best GPU for you. A HD5850 is overkill for 1440x900, but a HD5770 will struggle in new FPS titles at 1920x1080.
m
0
l
November 9, 2010 7:46:39 PM

Quote:
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHZ) Deneb - HDX955WFK4DGM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Stock Heatsink/Fan
ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
4GB (4 x 2GB) G.SKILL Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1333
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB


The ASUS M4a88TD-V Evo/USB3 is also a good board with the 880G + SB850.
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 2:04:42 AM

:hello: 
saint19 said:
Hi NanoTecIs and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd change this:

1- RAM with better CL
2- Cosair, Antec, Seasonic or XFX PSU. If you can't change it the Cooler Master is fine.
3- A new mobo with chipset 8xx series.
4- Maybe you can go with a six core.
5- I'd go with the 5850 or nVidia equivalent

Thankyou for welcoming me saint19. Actually i have no idea what cl is so please help me out with it. Can you tell me the approx prices of good AMD 8xx series chipsets???
Quote:
That Coolermaster PSU is one of their old ones, and is crappy. What resolution is your monitor, and what games do you play? Those will determine the best GPU for you. A HD5850 is overkill for 1440x900, but a HD5770 will struggle in new FPS titles at 1920x1080.

jtt283, im going to be using my pc mainly for designing and modelling 3D, softwares i intend to run are, CATIA, ANSYS etc...i do game but hardly..My monitor can go upto 1600x1200..Ok so ATI or nVidia??
Quote:
First, you're missing a harddrive. I'd recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue if possible.

:lol:  yes i forgot to include my HDD will look into it and update soon!! :D 
Quote:
As for other options. it depends on what is available in your area. It would be easy for me to recommend all sorts of things based on Newegg.com pricing, but I'm not sure what is available and at what prices for you. If those are the best components you can afford for each category (i.e. a 6-core CPU or an 890FX motherboard is too expensive).

Hey hellwig and guys you can refer to this website and let me know about the products to choose :)  http://www.primeabgb.com/
Quote:
There's no need to spend a lot of money on the 970BE because you should be able to overclock the 965BE or even the 955BE to the same level.

Hmmm so jtt283 you recommend i go for a 965 or 955?? Actually it is much cheaper than 970.
Quote:
The Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives are faster than the WD Black. The Seagate 7200.12 (but NOT the 7200.11) may also be faster.

Yup will check it out now!! :) 
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 8:42:20 AM

That drive is good (the 7200.12).
If your modeling software uses CUDA (nVidia's GPGPU processing) or ATi Stream (ATi's less common version of GPGPU) let that decide what video card to get. A GTX460 or HD5770 should do well for you.
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 3:55:02 PM

I'd go with CUDA, even if nVidia doesn't have the most faster GPU in the world (only has the most single faster) ATI doesn't have anything against nVidia CUDA, for those reasons many modeling and rendering software use CUDA and not ATI.
m
0
l
November 10, 2010 5:01:57 PM

For your work scenario, concentrate on getting more processing power.. In other words,spend on a stronger processor.. The Phenom II X6 1055T will be a good choice.. Your selected hard drive is pretty good so stick with it.. A GTS 450 (GTX 460 768MB if you can afford it) video card should fit your purposes pretty fine..
m
0
l
November 11, 2010 9:12:12 AM

Quote:
If your modeling software uses CUDA (nVidia's GPGPU processing).................

I think CATIA uses CUDA, not sure about ANSYS though.
Hey Emperus my total budget is 40k Rupees but im trying very hard to keep it below 35k so im not sure if i can get a X6 and a GTX 460, if i had to pick one i would pick x6, what say??
Ok guys will stick with the HDD, its pretty low priced for a good model. :) 
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 7:40:17 AM

Hey all!!! Im back and with a few updates, its time to get my pc. Here are the updates,

1> Motherboard - ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 or M$A89GTD Pro/USB3 (not able to decide between the two)
2> Processor - gonna take a 965 be
3> Power Supply- Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
4> G.Card - 5770

Should i make any changes?? the remaining config is same. Kindly help me out, will be getting everything within a week.
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 8:57:38 AM

NanoTecIs said:
Hey all!!! Im back and with a few updates, its time to get my pc. Here are the updates,

1> Motherboard - ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 or M$A89GTD Pro/USB3 (not able to decide between the two)
2> Processor - gonna take a 965 be
3> Power Supply- Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
4> G.Card - 5770

Should i make any changes?? the remaining config is same. Kindly help me out, will be getting everything within a week.


Motherboard - I would choose the second one. I have it, its great.
Processor - Yeah the 965 is a good choice. Maybe overclock it.
PSU - Good
Graphics - maybe send a bit more on a GTX 460 because it has cuda.
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 9:25:58 AM

Yeah, if you can use CUDA, you'll want a GTX460.
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 11:03:57 AM

@Dadiggle: Next time edit your 1st thread and add the other information, don't post three times.
m
0
l
!