Damn you, Interplay !

I think your anger is misdirected. According to GB:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EplEkpkZZFcPlSzKaf.php

Atari owns the rights to BG3, including production decisions and whether to
produce the title at all.

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> After Fallout 3 now Baldurs Gate 3 has been killed off :((
> http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/seankreynolds2.php
> I feel like nuking their HQ right now.

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> After Fallout 3 now Baldurs Gate 3 has been killed off :((
> http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/seankreynolds2.php
> I feel like nuking their HQ right now.

RCV: I gave up on them when they went to 3d edition rules. I know
nobody is going to publish a game with 2nd edition rules ever again, so I'm
stuck playing what I have now, but that's OK.
Even if 3d ed was an improvement over 2nd ed I'd be reluctant to embrace
a new system [since I like and am comfortable with 2nd ed] but with it being
no improvement at all, just change for change sake, there was no way I was
going to buy into it.

So, I probably wouldn't have bought BG III anyway......

Rich

Rich C. Velay wrote:

> Even if 3d ed was an improvement over 2nd ed I'd be reluctant to embrace
> a new system [since I like and am comfortable with 2nd ed] but with it being
> no improvement at all, just change for change sake, there was no way I was
> going to buy into it.

You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
improvement.

> You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
> simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
> improvement.

Well, NWN is 3rd ed. It's got it's good and bad points. Overall nice, but I
do miss some of the 2nd ed. class specific abilities and restrictions.

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rich C. Velay wrote:
>
> > Even if 3d ed was an improvement over 2nd ed I'd be reluctant to
embrace
> > a new system [since I like and am comfortable with 2nd ed] but with it
being
> > no improvement at all, just change for change sake, there was no way I
was
> > going to buy into it.
>
> You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
> simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
> improvement.

RCV: It's just personal opinion of course, but no; I don't see any
worthwhile improvement in the AC system or THAC0. I have used the 2nd ed
system for years and never had any difficulty with either component.

Rich

> > You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
> > simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
> > improvement.
>
> Well, NWN is 3rd ed. It's got it's good and bad points. Overall nice, but
> do miss some of the 2nd ed. class specific abilities and restrictions.

RCV: I agree completely. One of the more attractive aspects of AD&D,
for me, was the trade offs one had to make with regards to classes, races
and abilities. The 3d ed system makes no sense to me on any level......

Rich

Rich C. Velay wrote:

> "Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>
>>>You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
>>>simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
>>>improvement.
>>
>>Well, NWN is 3rd ed. It's got it's good and bad points. Overall nice, but

>>do miss some of the 2nd ed. class specific abilities and restrictions.
>>

> RCV: I agree completely. One of the more attractive aspects of AD&D,
> for me, was the trade offs one had to make with regards to classes, races
> and abilities. The 3d ed system makes no sense to me on any level......
>
> Rich

Why, because it's missing most of the "if you're playing as an elf on a
rainy Thursday in April, then you do this" sorts of rules? Personally,
I've found that 3/3.5E brought much needed logic and consistency to the
game. You shouldn't *have* to spend half the session looking up all of
the exceptions to the rules, and the great bulk of the race/class
restrictions were completely arbitrary and didn't add much to the game
except a general sense of "well, what good reason is there that I can't
do that?". If you're greatly offended by the notion of dwarven Paladins,
you're free to ban them from you're game, but why should the core rules
state that you can't do that? An odd race/class combination is a great
opportunity to develop an interesting backstory for your character.

"Troll" <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Rich C. Velay wrote:
>
> > "Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> >>Well, NWN is 3rd ed. It's got it's good and bad points. Overall nice,
but

> >>do miss some of the 2nd ed. class specific abilities and restrictions.
> >>

> > RCV: I agree completely. One of the more attractive aspects of
AD&D,
> > for me, was the trade offs one had to make with regards to classes,
races
> > and abilities. The 3d ed system makes no sense to me on any level......
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Why, because it's missing most of the "if you're playing as an elf on a
> rainy Thursday in April, then you do this" sorts of rules?

RCV: Yes, those sorts of rules that sought to balance the inate powers
of races vs class and level restrictions.

> Personally,
> I've found that 3/3.5E brought much needed logic and consistency to the
> game.

RCV: And you are quite welcome to your opinion.

> You shouldn't *have* to spend half the session looking up all of
> the exceptions to the rules, and the great bulk of the race/class
> restrictions were completely arbitrary and didn't add much to the game
> except a general sense of "well, what good reason is there that I can't
> do that?". If you're greatly offended by the notion of dwarven Paladins,
> you're free to ban them from you're game, but why should the core rules
> state that you can't do that?

RCV: Because that's what the rules say. If the designer felt that
allowing a race with many inate abilities to play a class with a great
number of its own special abilities, then he would have. However, for game
balance purposes, classes with a great number of inate abilities were
restricted to races that had no, or very few, special abilities.
I don't have any problem adhering to that - indeed I prefer it.

> An odd race/class combination is a great
> opportunity to develop an interesting backstory for your character.

RCV: Many things can be used to form a back story - one certainly
doesn't need infravision, poison and magic save bonus' and tunneling
expertise in addition to all of the special abilities of a Paladin to form
an interesting back story.
Now, were I DMing someone who desperately wanted to play a Dwarven
Paladin, I could sit down with them and figure something out, balancing one
set of abilities against the other, to form a reasonable and fair character.
[Along the lines, perhaps, of the Halfling "Paladin" in BG II, Mazzy...] I
don't need a set of "rules" to allow me to exercise my creativity, nor to
control my game.
But removing restrictions from the game, overall, is certainly not
something I want in my game, nor, parenthetically, with regards to PnP, is
it something I want to have to pay for, after having spent more than enough
on 1st and 2nd ed materials....

Rich

Rich C. Velay wrote:
> "Troll" <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Rich C. Velay wrote:
>>

>>>"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> but

>>> RCV: I agree completely. One of the more attractive aspects of
>
> AD&D,
>
>>>for me, was the trade offs one had to make with regards to classes,
>
> races
>
>>>and abilities. The 3d ed system makes no sense to me on any level......
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>>Why, because it's missing most of the "if you're playing as an elf on a
>>rainy Thursday in April, then you do this" sorts of rules?
>

> RCV: Yes, those sorts of rules that sought to balance the inate powers
> of races vs class and level restrictions.
>

>>Personally,
>>I've found that 3/3.5E brought much needed logic and consistency to the
>>game.
>

> RCV: And you are quite welcome to your opinion.
>

>>You shouldn't *have* to spend half the session looking up all of
>>the exceptions to the rules, and the great bulk of the race/class
>>restrictions were completely arbitrary and didn't add much to the game
>>except a general sense of "well, what good reason is there that I can't
>>do that?". If you're greatly offended by the notion of dwarven Paladins,
>>you're free to ban them from you're game, but why should the core rules
>>state that you can't do that?
>

> RCV: Because that's what the rules say. If the designer felt that
> allowing a race with many inate abilities to play a class with a great
> number of its own special abilities, then he would have. However, for game
> balance purposes, classes with a great number of inate abilities were
> restricted to races that had no, or very few, special abilities.

How is this an argument against 3E then? 3E has balanced the special
abilities of classes and races so that you don't *need* to place
arbitrary restrictions on race/class combinations. Out of curiousity,
have you actually played a 3/3.5E campaign, or are you just dead-set in
your ways and not about to try anything new? I'm playing in my second
3.x campaign currently, and I think 3.5 has cleaned up pretty much all
of the balance issues that were present in 3E (which were mostly related
to arcane spells, IMO).

3/3.5E hasn't removed *all* of the restrictions on classes, it's just
pared them down to the bare minimum required by logic and consistency
(ie, from the description and characteristics of the class, it makes
sense that a Paladin must be lawful good, or that a Rogue cannot be lawful).

> I don't have any problem adhering to that - indeed I prefer it.

That's fine. Some people really do enjoy rules for the sake of rules, I
guess.

>>An odd race/class combination is a great
>>opportunity to develop an interesting backstory for your character.
>

> RCV: Many things can be used to form a back story - one certainly
> doesn't need infravision, poison and magic save bonus' and tunneling
> expertise in addition to all of the special abilities of a Paladin to form
> an interesting back story.
> Now, were I DMing someone who desperately wanted to play a Dwarven
> Paladin, I could sit down with them and figure something out, balancing one
> set of abilities against the other, to form a reasonable and fair character.
> [Along the lines, perhaps, of the Halfling "Paladin" in BG II, Mazzy...] I
> don't need a set of "rules" to allow me to exercise my creativity, nor to
> control my game.

You'd prefer to have to hack something together for unusual characters
instead of having it already covered in the core rules? If you're open
to bending the arbitrary 2E race/class rules, then why is it a bad thing
that they've been removed in 3E?

> But removing restrictions from the game, overall, is certainly not
> something I want in my game, nor, parenthetically, with regards to PnP, is
> it something I want to have to pay for, after having spent more than enough
> on 1st and 2nd ed materials....

A new core manual is roughly the same price as a PC game, and you'll be
using it long after the PC game is forgotten. For adventures and old
sourcebooks, there are conversion guides to turn them into 3/3.5E, so
they can be used again if you really want.

Anyway, at least there's a bright side for you - the bargain bins are
full of old 2E adventures and sourcebooks now, so if you want to stay
with it, it'll certainly be cheaper:)

"Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Rich C. Velay wrote:
> >
> > > Even if 3d ed was an improvement over 2nd ed I'd be reluctant to
> embrace
> > > a new system [since I like and am comfortable with 2nd ed] but with it
> being
> > > no improvement at all, just change for change sake, there was no way I
> was
> > > going to buy into it.
> >
> > You don't think 3rd ed. is an improvement? I think just making the AC
> > simpler to deal with, and getting rid of the THACO, is already a big
> > improvement.
>
> RCV: It's just personal opinion of course, but no; I don't see any
> worthwhile improvement in the AC system or THAC0. I have used the 2nd ed
> system for years and never had any difficulty with either component.

I'm pretty certain that Rich, and I, and a few others around here, could
have made better 3rd ed rules. The 2nd ed rules were very nice and only
needed a few minor tweaks here and there...The 3rd ed rules IMO have ruined
any long lasting appeal in character development. i.e. 'I think I'll be a
sorcerer for a bit'...a couple of levels later, and it's 'I think I'll be a
fighter again for a while'. The decision to move into another class
shouldn't be taken so lightly. It's a bloody occupation change.

Troll wrote:

> the bare minimum required by logic and consistency
> (ie, ...a Rogue cannot be
> lawful).

I don't know what you're thinking of, but there are no alignment
restrictions on rogues in 3ed--nor, tmk, have thieves/rogues ever been
barred from lawful alignment.

"Dean Jarratt" <marquis@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> wrote in message

> I'm pretty certain that Rich, and I, and a few others around here, could
> have made better 3rd ed rules. The 2nd ed rules were very nice and only
> needed a few minor tweaks here and there...The 3rd ed rules IMO have
ruined
> any long lasting appeal in character development. i.e. 'I think I'll be a
> sorcerer for a bit'...a couple of levels later, and it's 'I think I'll be
> fighter again for a while'. The decision to move into another class
> shouldn't be taken so lightly. It's a bloody occupation change.

RCV: I agree with this sentiment as well. Personally, I see it as a
situation where character development was tossed overboard in favor of class
development.

The focus of the game has been changed radically from what it used to be
and replaced with something I don't like, and which I am not interested in
playing. 3d ed seems, to me, to be primarily aimed at what I would call
"power gamers", who are primarily concerned with abilities, rather than with
living and developing a character within restriction and limitations.

Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the ability to
use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't what
I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.

No doubt lots of people like it, pimarily I would expect people raised
on video games, but to an old dinosaur like myself, it sure doesn't
appeal....

Rich

> How is this an argument against 3E then? 3E has balanced the special
> abilities of classes and races so that you don't *need* to place
> arbitrary restrictions on race/class combinations.

RCV: None of what I have said is an "argument against 3d ed" - its
merely my opinion of 2nd ed vs 3d ed.....

> Out of curiousity,
> have you actually played a 3/3.5E campaign, or are you just dead-set in
> your ways and not about to try anything new? I'm playing in my second
> 3.x campaign currently, and I think 3.5 has cleaned up pretty much all
> of the balance issues that were present in 3E (which were mostly related
> to arcane spells, IMO).

RCV: I have very little experience with it - I played in a campaign for
a couple of weeks, with little enthusiasm, and got as familiar with the
rules as I needed to to decide I didn't like 3d ed. However, even had I not
played it at all, just looking at the rules and lurking a bit on the D&D ng
would have been enough to turn me off the game.

> 3/3.5E hasn't removed *all* of the restrictions on classes, it's just
> pared them down to the bare minimum required by logic and consistency
> (ie, from the description and characteristics of the class, it makes
> sense that a Paladin must be lawful good, or that a Rogue cannot be
lawful).

RCV: Changes you think are good, no doubt, which I don't agree with,
obvioulsy. How a thief, for example, who operates in an underworld
hierarchy replete with rules and regulations concerning status, power and
control, can be seen as NOT Lawful is beyond me. How can a city wide guild
be seen as "chaotic"?

> > I don't have any problem adhering to that - indeed I prefer it.
>
> That's fine. Some people really do enjoy rules for the sake of rules, I
> guess.

RCV: The less rules there are, the more chaotic the experience. This is
one of the prime reasons AD&D replaced D&D.

> You'd prefer to have to hack something together for unusual characters
> instead of having it already covered in the core rules? If you're open
> to bending the arbitrary 2E race/class rules, then why is it a bad thing
> that they've been removed in 3E?

RCV: As a DM, I am always willing to listen to a player's thoughts on
what his/her character should be - and I have the rules to fall back onto if
the players demands/desires are too far out of line with regards to play
balance. If I had wanted a more open-ended, less restrictive RPG to play, I
had many options outside the bounds of AD&D.
3d ed AD&D simply changes too many rules, and adds too much to player
power, for my tastes.

> A new core manual is roughly the same price as a PC game, and you'll be
> using it long after the PC game is forgotten. For adventures and old
> sourcebooks, there are conversion guides to turn them into 3/3.5E, so
> they can be used again if you really want.

RCV: Which I don't want to, thank you. I don't need to purchase another
manual - I have a fully functional and enjoyable game in my hands currently.

> Anyway, at least there's a bright side for you - the bargain bins are
> full of old 2E adventures and sourcebooks now, so if you want to stay
> with it, it'll certainly be cheaper:)

RCV: Yeah, *if* I needed any of the old books... I don't. And I never
played pre-packaged modules myself, I couldn't see the point - as a DM I
wanted to play MY games, not act as a die roller/time keeper for someone
else's "campaign". And as a player, I certainly didn't want to play
something that any player could buy and get all the "answers" to!

Rich

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Troll wrote:
>
> > the bare minimum required by logic and consistency
> > (ie, ...a Rogue cannot be
> > lawful).
>
> I don't know what you're thinking of, but there are no alignment
> restrictions on rogues in 3ed--nor, tmk, have thieves/rogues ever been
> barred from lawful alignment.

RCV: Well that's good to know, I thought I had missed something from 3d
ed concerning Rogues alignments. In pre-3d ed, of course, the restriction
was on LG, not L.

Rich

"Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<c60ti0$5t4$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
> After Fallout 3 now Baldurs Gate 3 has been killed off :((
> http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/seankreynolds2.php

Don't forget TORN, their pet project, which iirc, they put off
FO3 and BG3 to make.

> I feel like nuking their HQ right now.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure Interplay is still functioning.

--
Ht

> Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the ability
> use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't
what
> I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.
>
> No doubt lots of people like it, pimarily I would expect people raised
> on video games, but to an old dinosaur like myself, it sure doesn't
> appeal....
>
> Rich

You have some very valid points there, perhaps it is a sign of the times
where people want to have everything and now)

Though it did bring back memories of the old dungeon master game on my Amiga
where my fighter and other non magic chaacter cast enough 'make light torch
spells' that after hundreds of them they eventually progressed up to making
fireballs)

What a seminal game that was
ATB
The Chris

> > any long lasting appeal in character development. i.e. 'I think I'll be
> > sorcerer for a bit'...a couple of levels later, and it's 'I think I'll
be a
> > fighter again for a while'. The decision to move into another class
> > shouldn't be taken so lightly. It's a bloody occupation change.
>
> Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the ability
> use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't
what
> I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.

I'm answering both these at once, as they seem really quite closely related
:)
Agreed, 3rd Ed does allow silly combinations, but I've found that, if you've
got a mature and sensible group (always a bonus) the only time you get
unusual combinations is for character development reasons. It also allows
someone to, for instance, put 2/3 of their levels in Rogue and 1/3 in
Fighter, giving more flexibility in the multiclassing. I do like the more
"linear" stat effects on rolls, which makes on-the-fly calculation a lot
easier, which is great for a mathematical type like myself :)

Ragnar

"Troll" <newstroll@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Rich C. Velay wrote:
>
> > "Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> >>Well, NWN is 3rd ed. It's got it's good and bad points. Overall nice,
but

> >>do miss some of the 2nd ed. class specific abilities and restrictions.
> >>

> > RCV: I agree completely. One of the more attractive aspects of
AD&D,
> > for me, was the trade offs one had to make with regards to classes,
races
> > and abilities. The 3d ed system makes no sense to me on any level......
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Why, because it's missing most of the "if you're playing as an elf on a
> rainy Thursday in April, then you do this" sorts of rules? Personally,
> I've found that 3/3.5E brought much needed logic and consistency to the
> game. You shouldn't *have* to spend half the session looking up all of
> the exceptions to the rules, and the great bulk of the race/class
> restrictions were completely arbitrary and didn't add much to the game
> except a general sense of "well, what good reason is there that I can't
> do that?". If you're greatly offended by the notion of dwarven Paladins,
> you're free to ban them from you're game, but why should the core rules
> state that you can't do that? An odd race/class combination is a great
> opportunity to develop an interesting backstory for your character.

Besides, its well known to history that Priests in the Middle Ages often
weilded weapons in combat, particularly pointy weapons. It was always
rather silly that Clerics in 2nd Ed couldn't use a sword.

"Henry Lockwood" <hnl22@NOSPAM.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > > any long lasting appeal in character development. i.e. 'I think I'll
be
> > > sorcerer for a bit'...a couple of levels later, and it's 'I think I'll
> be a
> > > fighter again for a while'. The decision to move into another class
> > > shouldn't be taken so lightly. It's a bloody occupation change.
> >
> > Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the
ability
> > use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't
> what
> > I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.
>
> I'm answering both these at once, as they seem really quite closely
related
> :)
> Agreed, 3rd Ed does allow silly combinations, but I've found that, if
you've
> got a mature and sensible group (always a bonus) the only time you get
> unusual combinations is for character development reasons. It also allows
> someone to, for instance, put 2/3 of their levels in Rogue and 1/3 in
> Fighter, giving more flexibility in the multiclassing. I do like the more
> "linear" stat effects on rolls, which makes on-the-fly calculation a lot
> easier, which is great for a mathematical type like myself :)

RCV: And that's groovy, I have no problem with other people liking 3d
ed. I simply don't like it myself and I have expressed some reasons *I*
don't like it.
To each their own, of course.

Rich

Suddenly, Rich C. Velay, drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness
and exclaimed:

> Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the
> ability to
> use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't
> what I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.
>
> No doubt lots of people like it, pimarily I would expect people
> raised
> on video games, but to an old dinosaur like myself, it sure doesn't
> appeal....

I'm an old 1E/2E dinosaur myself, and I love it. I remember wheedling a DM
to let my cleric of Frey wield a big blue 2-handed sword (Frey's symbol),
but the rules didn't allow for it.

My favorite recent character was a cleric who took 1/4 of his levels in
bard. It weakened the character from a powergaming standpoint, but it fit
so well into his backstory and personality, I felt it was the thing to do.
After all, he's a priest of the goddess of song and dance, he ought to be
able to carry a tune and do the ol' soft shoe.

--
Billy Yank

"The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow to the oak that
will be cut to form the cradle of the babe that will grow to slay me."
- Neil Gaiman "Stardust"

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

Kish wrote:
> Troll wrote:
>
>> the bare minimum required by logic and consistency (ie, ...a Rogue
>> cannot be lawful).
>

> I don't know what you're thinking of, but there are no alignment
> restrictions on rogues in 3ed--nor, tmk, have thieves/rogues ever been
> barred from lawful alignment.

Doh! I haven't played a roque in 3E yet, and I was too lazy to go dig my
PH out of the car last night (it was cold out). Hmm, I guess then the
only alignment restrictions left would be on Paladins and Monks, then?
Damn, now I'm going to have to look through the PH and check all of them
or it'll drive me nuts.

Troll wrote:

> Doh! I haven't played a roque in 3E yet, and I was too lazy to go dig my
> PH out of the car last night (it was cold out). Hmm, I guess then the
> only alignment restrictions left would be on Paladins and Monks, then?

Paladins must be Lawful Good. Monks must be Lawful. Druids must have
the word "Neutral" in alignment. Clerics must be within one step of the
deity's alignment. Barbarians and bards cannot be Lawful. Those are
all the alignment restrictions for basic classes.

Rich C. Velay wrote:

> "Dean Jarratt" <marquis@eidosnet.spamless.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>I'm pretty certain that Rich, and I, and a few others around here, could
>>have made better 3rd ed rules. The 2nd ed rules were very nice and only
>>needed a few minor tweaks here and there...The 3rd ed rules IMO have
>
> ruined
>
>>any long lasting appeal in character development. i.e. 'I think I'll be a
>>sorcerer for a bit'...a couple of levels later, and it's 'I think I'll be

>>fighter again for a while'. The decision to move into another class
>>shouldn't be taken so lightly. It's a bloody occupation change.
>

> RCV: I agree with this sentiment as well. Personally, I see it as a
> situation where character development was tossed overboard in favor of class
> development.
>
> The focus of the game has been changed radically from what it used to be
> and replaced with something I don't like, and which I am not interested in
> playing. 3d ed seems, to me, to be primarily aimed at what I would call
> "power gamers", who are primarily concerned with abilities, rather than with
> living and developing a character within restriction and limitations.
>
> Taking a few weeks off from being a fighter, just to gain the ability to
> use wands, and later being a priest and then a ....... well it isn't what
> I consider "role playing", its "stat playing" or some such.
>
> No doubt lots of people like it, pimarily I would expect people raised
> on video games, but to an old dinosaur like myself, it sure doesn't
> appeal....
>
> Rich

Power gamers show up in every game - it's more a function of who you're
playing with than the ruleset you use. Besides, watching the DM punish a
powergamer by throwing monkey wrenches (repeatedly) into their
strategies can be a lot of fun:)

Htn963 wrote:

> "Dirk Dreidoppel" <dirk.dreidoppel@deadspam.com> wrote in message news:<c60ti0$5t4$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
>
>>After Fallout 3 now Baldurs Gate 3 has been killed off :((
>>http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/seankreynolds2.php
>

> Don't forget TORN, their pet project, which iirc, they put off
> FO3 and BG3 to make.
>

>>I feel like nuking their HQ right now.
>

> Honestly, I wasn't even sure Interplay is still functioning.

Probably just enough to keep potential buyers (of the company)
interested. Anyway, if Atari plans on making BG3 at some point, aren't
they going to have to make some sort of deal with Interplay? I thought
Interplay had some sort of rights to BG. Or did Bioware just have to
work with them because they were the D&D licensee at the time?