Sign in with
Your question
Closed

High Temps on Stock Core i3 530?

Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2010 3:38:07 PM

Hello,

I have an HTPC that I built based on the ASRock H55M Pro motherboard and Core i3 530. Nothing is overclocked and I'm using the stock cooler. I recently noticed that when doing some video encoding (core loads all pegged at 100%), my core temperatures rise to 100-105C, at which point the CPU starts to throttle back due to thermal concerns. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Things that I've checked:
CPU Fan working? - Yes, runs at 2400 rpm idle and over 3000 rpm under load.
Case cooling adequate? - Yes. Open case with large fan blowing across motherboard didn't alleviate the problem.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 6:47:59 PM

Re-seat the cooler. Buy some aftermarket thermal paste, clean off the gunk that came with the box cooler, apply the new thermal paste per instructions (usually a small drop smaller than a pea right in the center), then re-attach the heatsink.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 7:01:10 PM

One thing you can do is put a finger or two on the heatsink while under load and see if that makes a difference, I bet it does. Like said above re-install the cooler, with some quality TIM if you can, make sure you clean the old stuff off first with high purity alcohol.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 7:05:08 PM

^ true true
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 9, 2010 8:08:15 PM

^ HAHa nice, likey
Score
November 9, 2010 9:35:20 PM

Awesome, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Score
November 12, 2010 3:30:22 PM

Yeah, so it seems the heat sink wasn't well seated. I bought some Arctic Silver 5 and used that in reseating the heat sink and now full-load temperatures top out at about 70C (Tjmax = 105C). I'm still a little concerned about the ability of the heat sink to properly contact the CPU due to the asinine mounting system. It took about 4 or 5 tries to get the thing to click into place.

I'm thinking about replacing the stock cooler with the Cooler Master GeminII S. Should I expect a decent improvement in temperatures and maybe some overclocking headroom?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 5:45:09 PM

With a Core i3 530 I would expect temps around 50C. I can get 50C on my overclocked Athlon 64 x2, and that's a 65nm 3.2GHz part.

I would definitely consider an aftermarket cooler, maybe even one that comes with a backplate (for a more secure fit). It appears that Geminii S comes with backplates/bolts that secure the heatsink all the way through the board (unlike those flawed screw-ins). Just make sure you get one with fans installed, it looks like the Geminii S allows for 1x120mm or 2x90mm or 2x80mm. I'd go 1x120mm, its quieter.
Score
November 22, 2010 3:56:23 AM

Best answer selected by tarheels_100.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 10:25:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!