Is it ok to buy a video card for 300 watt ps.

I got my PC about 2-3 months ago and iv pretty happy with it.
It has a Core 2 quad 2.5 ghz with a onboard video card, 8gigs of ram, and 1 hd.
So i was wondering if i could get a 1g video card...
IDk if it would work because my ps is only 300 watts
26 answers Last reply
More about video card watt
  1. umm most likly not since reccomended modern card power req range from 450-700 depends are if its middle end high end or low end i would reccomended gettign a new PSU...
  2. For 300W PSU, HD5670 or GT240 are good options... That's if you don't want to change your PSU... :)
  3. jordan009 said:
    umm most likly not since reccomended modern card power req range from 450-700 depends are if its middle end high end or low end i would reccomended gettign a new PSU...


    What are you talking about there are plenty of GPUs that run fine on 300W....

    I would reccomend a HD 5670 me thinks...

    EDIT: Damn you wa1, beat me too it :P
  4. thats an ok one i would reccomend this one. one of the best brands for computer hardware out there.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3436149&CatId=1079
  5. Ok, that's an acceptable PSU, with that you can get HD5770 or GTX 460.
    What is your monitor resolution?
  6. helltech lol no 5670 re 400 watt
  7. I might get the GT240 (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=GT240&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2074352921434164780&ei=Z9VDTJPRLMX_lgfe98m5DQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQ8wIwAg#)
    but it says it has ddr 3 memory and my computer uses ddr2...
    Idk if it will work...
    Thanks for all the help guys.
  8. wa1 said:
    Ok, that's an acceptable PSU, with that you can get HD5770 or GTX 460.
    What is your monitor resolution?


    My resolution is 1600x900
  9. dont worry it will work your RAM type has no effect on video RAM exmaple i have DDR 3 ram and DDR5 video card
  10. jordan009 said:
    dont worry it will work your RAM type has no effect on video RAM exmaple i have DDR 3 ram and DDR5 video card

    OK thanks for the info im still looking for something cheap but good.
  11. it said on the amd website 400watt psu reccomended
  12. Now i need to know what kind of slot i have.
    Can someone help me with this...
    I think its pci idk if its pci 16x
  13. A 5670 takes 76W at FULL load. Hes looking for a cheap solution, he doesn't need to go out and buy all that. His PSU will be fine. Also he only has 1HDD.


    thecompgame said:
    Now i need to know what kind of slot i have.
    Can someone help me with this...
    I think its pci idk if its pci 16x


    What motherboard do you have?
  14. Helltech said:
    A 5670 takes 7^W at FULL load. Hes looking for a cheap solution, he doesn't need to go out and buy all that. His PSU will be fine. Also he only has 1HDD.

    http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/H/236141/original/Power.png


    What motherboard do you have?


    http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/TheCompGame/?action=view&current=Capture.png
  15. The 5670 is a good choice for that resolution.All modern motherboards have at least one PCIe x16 slot for graphics cards.Just check your motherboard manual to see your slot version - PCIe 1.x/2.0/2.1.Now the 5670 is a PCIe 2.1 card.Now it will obviously run on any PCIe 2.1/2.0 slot but to run it on a PCIe 1.x slot, you will require a bios update.
  16. HD5670 doesn't need an additional 6pin power connector, it's draw power from pcie slot only, so pcie slot gives 75W max. But HD5670 use less than that at FULL LOAD.

    Take a look at this:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,703129/Radeon-HD-5670-Redwood-reviewed-DirectX-11-for-less-than-100-Euros/Reviews/

    So, 300W is more than enough for HD5670.
    :)
  17. thecompgame said:


    Judging by what I found about your motherboard (and I couldn't find much) you have one PCI-e x16 slot. So just like most everyone abnd myself said go with the HD 5670 if your looking for a cheap card that wont require you to upgrade other components.
  18. Does anyone know a HD 5750 card thats under $100?
    Thanks again everyone.
  19. Helltech said:
    Judging by what I found about your motherboard (and I couldn't find much) you have one PCI-e x16 slot. So just like most everyone abnd myself said go with the HD 5670 if your looking for a cheap card that wont require you to upgrade other components.


    Ok thanks for looking it up now i just need to find something under $100, if you have any ideas please send me a link to it.
    So far all of the cards iv found are over $100.
  20. Ok everyone thanks for all your help i got all the info i needed.
    Thanks so so much!!
  21. A 2.0 card can work in a 1.0 slot, they are interchangable. A 2.1 card can ALSO work in a 1.0 slot, but there are same rare issues in that department.

    You probably have 1.0 (although I can't tell). So to be safe, here is a card that will work..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&cm_re=5670-_-14-102-870-_-Product
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Core Quad Graphics Product