Restricting Windows XP Accounts

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello,

I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
(Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
application from the restricted account AS an administrator?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about restricting windows accounts
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
    > (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
    > account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
    > installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start
    > menu
    > appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at
    > home
    > to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
    > computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to
    > the
    > restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
    > restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
    > limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having
    > log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
    > application from the restricted account AS an administrator?

    I believe that you will find some of what you are looking for a the BLOG of
    Aaron Margosis here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/default.aspx

    Look particularly at the sections on running as limited admin for home users
    as well as the excellent other information. Also, Microsoft may have just
    what you are looking for in the currently in beta "Shared Computer Toolkit"
    that is talked about at several places on the web such as:

    http://bink.nu/Article4015.bink

    Though this isn't out yet, and the only information we have is what is
    available in the computer press, it sounds like it will fit the bill for
    your work and home needs once it is released.

    Hope this helps!

    Glenn Fincher
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Dave,

    MVP Doug Knox's utility is probably ideal for you.

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
    > (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
    > account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
    > installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start menu
    > appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at home
    > to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
    > computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to the
    > restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
    > restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
    > limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having to
    > log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
    > application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
    >
    > Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Dave,

    A Public Beta of the Shared Computer Toolkit has just become available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/sharedaccess.

    I believe it will handle everything you want to do. If not, let me know in
    our Shared Access Newsgroup:

    Cheers,

    Derick Campbell
    Program Manager for the Shared Computer Toolkit

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
    > (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
    > account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
    > installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start
    > menu
    > appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at
    > home
    > to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
    > computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to
    > the
    > restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
    > restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
    > limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having
    > log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
    > application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
    >
    > Thanks
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Good evening,

    I am new to XP (two weeks) and was looking for the same solution as
    described here. However, I am nervous of Beta Software. Having been on Beta
    sites for CAD applications I am aware of potential problems. This is a
    personal PC at home. I appreciate the effort that goes into these things but
    am I heading for lots of problems if I download and use the software?

    kgb
    Tue 23 Aug 2005 23:36 UK

    "Derick Campbell (MSFT)" wrote:

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > A Public Beta of the Shared Computer Toolkit has just become available at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/sharedaccess.
    >
    > I believe it will handle everything you want to do. If not, let me know in
    > our Shared Access Newsgroup:
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Derick Campbell
    > Program Manager for the Shared Computer Toolkit
    >

    > "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm placed in charge of managing a computer lab at an elementary school
    > > (Windows XP Pro). What I'm looking for is a way to create a limited user
    > > account where I can limit Control Panel access and prevent users from
    > > installing applications. I also want to customize the desktop and start
    > > menu
    > > appearance of these accounts. I would also like to be able to do this at
    > > home
    > > to prevent unauthorized users (i.e. kids) from installing programs on my
    > > computer. I am left, however, with the connundrum of how can I log on to
    > > the
    > > restricted account to change these settings when the account itself is
    > > restricted? Is there an optimal solution for easily creating and managing
    > > limited user accounts from an admin-level account without actually having
    > > log on to that account? And conversely, is there a way to install an
    > > application from the restricted account AS an administrator?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I have spent sometime following links to other places etc and now realise the
    launch is very close. I have also found the PDF BETA document in the
    usergroup area and will digest that, so to speak, but I look forward to using
    the software.

    kgb
    Thur 24 Aug 2005 17:44