Sign in with
Your question

Won't display native resolution (1920x1080) and Dual monitor does not display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2010 4:34:39 AM

Hello everyone,
I've recently reformatted my computer. Everything was working perfect before but I just wanted a clean reinstall because I wanted my performance to go faster.
After I reformatted my computer, the first thing i noticed was that my external monitor stopped working. I ignored this because I thought i could fix it.
When I unplugged it and plugged it back in, my main monitor stopped working too. This never happened before so I was freaking out. When i rebooted, my main monitor would turn on and i would hear the Windows sound but it will just go blank at the Login screen. I can see my mouse cursor but the screen is black.
Since that happened, I unplugged my external monitor from my computer and immediately my main monitor turned back on. This is the first issue.

My second issue is that when i log into windows, the first thing i did was change the resolution to my native resolution. So i downloaded CCC 10.6, I have an ATI 4870x2, when I finished installing and reboot, my computer will not allow me to set to my native resolution!
It is stuck at 1600x1200. I tried everything to change, by going to CCC, Desktop&Display, Configure, Untick EDID, and change it to 1920x1080.
That didn't solve anything, because when I would change it to 1920x1080, the resolution goes to 1400x900.
This never happened to me before and I am now completely hopeless.
If there is any kind of solution please reply. Thank you
(Windows 7 64-bit)
July 19, 2010 4:44:47 AM

Hey there,

During Windows install or Cat install, everything should be identified and setup automatically.

1. Have you installed the drivers for your LCD display? Windows should do it automatically, but I found it's best to download drivers drivers directly from LCD website.

Then go to control panel>hardware and sound>device manager>monitors>right click>driver>update>update driver>browse my computer for driver software.

2. I found Cat 10.6 drivers to be troublesome. Poor performance/BSODs. Uninstall using driver sweeper. Install Cat 10.3 or 10.4.

Good luck.

July 19, 2010 5:36:13 AM

Hey,

I tried both options and both didn't work.
I have an Asus VH226H monitor, their is no existing drivers for that monitor online.
I downloaded driver sweeper and did a clean uninstall and installed Cata 10.3 but that didn't work either.
Related resources
July 19, 2010 6:36:14 AM

Does your mainboard have onboard graphics? If so, disable in BIOS on boot.

Also, did you touch your VGA before/during format? If so, reseat VGA card in mb.
July 20, 2010 1:15:28 AM

How do i reseat VGA card in mb?
July 20, 2010 4:10:34 AM

Physically take the card out and put it back in, making sure the VGA is connected properly.
!