GTX 480 or a 5970 ?

Solution
Have to disagree with the above posters.

the 5970 not only performs better, but it actually runs cooler than a 480 despite being a dual GPU card. its overclockable to buggery, and allows you to drive 3 monitors from a single card.

the 480 is probably the worst of Nvidias current generation of cards.

a gtx460 SLI setup would also be an excellent choice. but i wouldn't bother with a 480 myself.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Have to disagree with the above posters.

the 5970 not only performs better, but it actually runs cooler than a 480 despite being a dual GPU card. its overclockable to buggery, and allows you to drive 3 monitors from a single card.

the 480 is probably the worst of Nvidias current generation of cards.

a gtx460 SLI setup would also be an excellent choice. but i wouldn't bother with a 480 myself.

Solution

welshmousepk

Distinguished
while i agree that a SLI setup is a very good option, you are skirting the edges of fanboyism with your post.

the 5970 is not obsolete because its a single card. its performance/price ratio is good and it only takes up a single PCI slot and runs very cool.

but, i would still say a 460 setup would be a great choice if you don't mind going straight to a dual card setup.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
If you go with the way of an SLI set-up this is going to dictate which MBs you will need to use. SLI is only going to work with an nVidia chipset. Not saying this is good or bad, just something to keep in mind when making your decision.

Unless you use an X58 or P55 board that is both SLi and Xfire capable of course.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008

ThX, MouseMonkey.
My lack of knowledge is showing through again lol. Haven't had the chance to do any experimentation on an Intel platform, yet.

No worries mate :), it would be nice if AMD took a leaf out of Intel's book and offered their users the choice as well though.

Holy hell that would be nice, though at the same time Intel did this after they locked NV out of their chipset (only intel now) market so they could retain NV owners (and future owners)

@OP another vote for the 5970

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Seems I'm the only one voting for the GTX 480...or am I?

With 5970 you are basically buying a factory packaged Crossfire card. You will have issues with software and even more problems if you decide to expand your build - add another card.

With the GTX 480 you have a better balanced card. It's the fastest single CPU out there and easy to expand. Besides, SLI is way more efficient then Crossfire (that just doesn't work very well).

Temperature and Power is, in my opinion, a non issue - the difference between both cards are marginal, and in the real word non-existent.

Still, I have doubts about both of them. They are both gigantic inefficient hungry monsters.

I would second welshmousepk and suggest a 460 1GB SLI configuration, for now. I'm sure much better Fermi (Nvidia cards) are just about to come out - talk of new line 475/485/495 has been buzzing around...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I think people over exaggerate the crossfire issues though (same with SLI) there a re very few games these days that have trouble with it, so i don't think thats going to be an issue.

the reason i dislike the 480 is because of the heat,not of just of the GPU, but of the exposed plating which radiates into the system. i just can't imagine its healthy.
and while you are right about being able to SLI, it would take a massive PSU to accommodate it, and one hell of a good cooling set up.

of the two, i would easily prefer the 5970. cooler and more powerful.

but yeah, as long as a dual card setup is viable for the user i would say a 460 setup would be a great choice. but without a capable Mobo thats just not going to be possible, in which case i would suggest the 5970.