Sign in with
Your question

Compatibility questions

Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2010 6:22:29 PM

Hello all,

I am currently using an old Gateway PC, and am interesting in doing some upgrading, but I have some questions, because I don't want to fry the old board.

The board is an Intel D845GVSR, which supports Celeron and P4 socket 478 processors @ 400MHz or 533MHz. I currently have a Celeron 2.4 @ 400MHz

My questions are:

1) I have heard that mobile P4s work just fine in desktop boards, is this true?

2) I do not know if my board supports things like MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, IST, Tm2, Hyper-Threading. Does it? How can I tell?

My biggest question is this:

The "best" processor available @ 533MHz for socket 478 is the Mobile Pentium 4 HT 552. Is this processor compatible with my motherboard? How can I find out/be certain?
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 5:31:16 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

First off, don't even try to upgrade on OEM system. Compatibility issues will arise. Second, I have not seen a PGA 478 in several years. I can't tell you how crazy this sounds but, you may need to upgrade the system as a whole. Are you upgrading it because....what?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 11:32:20 PM

MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, IST, Tm2, Hyper-Threading are CPU features not motherboard features.

Dont waste your money on this PC, just upgrade your Mobo, CPU, and RAM altogether. It will be more cost effective this way and your performance will be miles ahead of just replacing your CPU. Just make sure your PSU can handel new upgrades or you may need to replace that aswell.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2010 3:11:55 AM

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I'm upgrading because a Celeron 2.4 is just ridiculously weak. It's reaching a tipping point where I'm experiencing a lot of freezing because the processor just doesn't have the power to keep things running smoothly.

As far as upgrading the whole system, well, it may be more cost effective to upgrade the whole system, but not if I don't have the money, and I don't. If I had the money, I wouldn't be using a seven-year-old computer. I can get a new processor for ~$30. If I'm going to spend money upgrading the whole system, I'm going to want to spend at least ~$200, and I don't have anywhere near half that. I can afford to upgrade the processor, so I'm looking into just upgrading the processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 4:25:54 AM

Ok dkoenn, Here is the Intel CPU support list for your motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board D845GVSR

By this if you have the correct PCB revision number you can run this CPU: https://www.starmicroinc.net/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=ac... for $9.

Or any PCB version supports this CPU: https://www.starmicroinc.net/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=ac... for $28.

I have bought CPU's from here before and never had a problem. I hope that is what you were looking for, let me know if you have any more questions. :) 
m
l
November 20, 2010 5:58:13 AM

dogman, why do you insist that I simply replace a computer that A) I can't afford to replace yet and B) I don't want to replace yet.

I don't understand why this is difficult. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but it's not the kind of help I'm asking for, nor is it ultimately very helpful.

I don't intend to replace this computer until it either breaks, or I have enough money to buy the computer I want.

thecheif- That pretty much confirms my own research.

So should I assume the people who claim to have successfully put mobile P4s in their desktop boards are crazy, lucky, or liars?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 6:15:09 AM

dkoenn said:
So should I assume the people who claim to have successfully put mobile P4s in their desktop boards are crazy, lucky, or liars?
Yes, I would at least, but I never looked into it because why put a mobile chip in there when you have the ability to put the desktop equivalent of the mobile chip in instead? Theres no point in even using a mobile chip anyhow, I dont know why someone would try it in the first place, unless thats what they had laying around to use and said hey why dont I try to use this instead of buying a desktop version?
m
l
November 20, 2010 6:37:47 AM

This is why:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Mobile%20...

That is the P4 HT 552. It has twice the L2 cache, and is 13% faster than this:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Pentium%2...(BX80532PE3066D).html

That is the P4 524. It is the fastest non-mobile P4 for socket 478 @533MHz FSB.

Yes, I realize 13% increase frequency speed and twice the L2 isn't ridiculously significant, but if they're the same price, and my research panned out (which is isn't), then it would be worth going that route.

However, I think I'm just going to settle for the 3.06, and play it safe.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 1:44:36 PM

Oh, I see, I didnt realalize that. The L2 cache probably would be a good improvement, but the 13% a little less so, but still not bad as I can only do a stable 10% OC on my P4, but I still run it like that anyways.

Your probably eight on playin git safe, but i look around a bit on the Mobile thing and see what I can come up with anyhow.
m
l
!