Installing UT99 problem...

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Hi

I've done this about a million times before, and nothing hardware has
really changed. Installing Totally Unreal (Europe, pre-patched to 436,
original) on XP on a 768MB xp2400.

Fresh install. However, every attempt ends with a critical erro part-way
through decompressing the maps. DecompressLength <= MAX_BUFFER_SIZE+1
Tried to install on a 60G and a 40G, ntfs and fat32. The latter has
worked before, and isn't the problem with too big a disk that ut's
installer has had before.

I *think* this may be related to a bunch of error messages regarding
memory that I'm getting from other apps about being unable to "read" or
"write" memory, and I'm suspicious of some XP hotfixes. However, trying
to remove one suggested by a forum post on a website made XP unable to
boot and I had to reinstall... (Great fun)

Before you ask, the RAM on this machine is fine, as is the rest of the
hardware (I'm 99% sure). nVidia chipset, home built.

Anyone come across something similar? I wanted to reinstall to start
from scratch again, my current ut having got a tad bloaty...

Thanks!

--
Flash
15 answers Last reply
More about installing ut99 problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Are you also occasionally getting the little yellow delayed write fail
    message when writing to and from a hard disk? If yes it some thing to do
    with hard disk buffer timings and there are a million threads about it. I
    seem to have cured that by updating the nforce motherboard drivers.

    Other wise I have no idea.

    Vis
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Visine wrote:
    > Are you also occasionally getting the little yellow delayed write fail
    > message when writing to and from a hard disk? If yes it some thing to do
    > with hard disk buffer timings and there are a million threads about it. I
    > seem to have cured that by updating the nforce motherboard drivers.

    Not god anything like that. I've tried resetting pagefile settings, and
    nothing recently.

    Also trying nvidia drivers, but at 1.7k/s from taiwan, it might be an
    all-nighter... :/

    --
    Flash
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash wrote:

    > I *think* this may be related to a bunch of error messages regarding
    > memory that I'm getting from other apps about being unable to "read" or
    > "write" memory, and I'm suspicious of some XP hotfixes.

    Ah, I was wrong about the memory on this machine. It got progressively
    worse until I couldn't even run my existing UT install without it
    bombing out with a Pure error. A tad frustrating when 9 guys are waiting
    for you to play a war.

    So - I pulled one of the dimms. The problem instantly went away and
    everything is working again.

    Guys - don't buy Matrix-badged dimms (sold through ebuyer and others as
    unbadged). Second 256Mb DIMM I've had fail (the other was bad from the
    start) in six months - that's 100% failure rate for that brand.

    --
    Flash
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Glad you got it sorted. Memory snags are so easy to overlook

    Vis.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash enlightened us with:
    > Ah, I was wrong about the memory on this machine. It got
    > progressively worse until I couldn't even run my existing UT install
    > without it bombing out with a Pure error. A tad frustrating when 9
    > guys are waiting for you to play a war.

    Next time you encouter weird crashes etc. check out Memtest86. It's
    the best software memory tester I've seen.

    MeltDown
    --
    !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Next time you encouter weird crashes etc. check out Memtest86. It's
    > the best software memory tester I've seen.

    Ack, but it's a pain to use when your pc doesn't have any floppy ports
    and rawrite under DOS won't let you format anything but A: and B: ...

    This is the first time I've had memory fail in any way other than when
    it was first installed. Normally it either works or doesn't.

    --
    Flash
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    huh? If you don't have a floppy do you have a cd burner? Just burn the iso
    to a cd. It is very simple to use. And once you burn it to a cd you will
    have it to use whenever you want.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Flash enlightened us with:
    > Ack, but it's a pain to use when your pc doesn't have any floppy
    > ports and rawrite under DOS won't let you format anything but A: and
    > B: ...

    You can install it as a separate choice when you use LILO or another
    boot manager. Never tried it on a windoze-only system.

    MeltDown
    --
    !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:
    > huh? If you don't have a floppy do you have a cd burner? Just burn the iso
    > to a cd. It is very simple to use. And once you burn it to a cd you will
    > have it to use whenever you want.

    Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
    problem.

    --
    Flash
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    news:U8KdnYHYT5vBe5rfRVnyhg@eclipse.net.uk...
    >
    > Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
    > problem.
    >


    Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a cd
    burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.


    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:45:55 -0600, Margolis wrote:

    > "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    > news:U8KdnYHYT5vBe5rfRVnyhg@eclipse.net.uk...
    >>
    >> Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a
    > cd burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.

    I'm guessing that he's speaking of the limitations of the Memtest program
    itself, although I'm not clear on why it would need to write to disk, at
    all. But, then again, I'm not clear on a lot of things, anymore.

    --
    {AGUT}DeadMan
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:

    >>Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
    >>problem.

    > Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a cd
    > burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.

    Nooo... (Hint: Linux doesn't access drives by drive letters, that's a
    purely dos/windows thing)

    Memtest86 is a bootable image file that is completely OS-undependant.
    Since all OS's have memory handlers that might introduce or mask true
    errors of a rigorous test. (Broken memory handlers might be causing the
    errors, rather than the memory itself).

    However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
    file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
    it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
    CD's.

    It is possible that the .bin is in a format that Nero or similar
    gui-based cd writing software can handle, I didn't think of trying that.

    --
    Flash
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    news:K5adnRHiLYPdRJTfRVnyvQ@eclipse.net.uk...
    >
    > However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
    > file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
    > it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
    > CD's.


    I don't understand what you are saying. You do not need dos.

    To burn the bootable memtest86 iso to a cd all you need is any cd burning
    program in any operating system. winxp works fine to burn with. Memtest
    does not write to anything at all when it is running. So I don't see where
    you need dos or a: or b:

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    {AGUT}DeadMan wrote:

    > I'm guessing that he's speaking of the limitations of the Memtest program
    > itself, although I'm not clear on why it would need to write to disk, at
    > all. But, then again, I'm not clear on a lot of things, anymore.

    'Cos you need to boot to the disk it creates, it runs without an OS.

    --
    Flash
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:
    > "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    > news:K5adnRHiLYPdRJTfRVnyvQ@eclipse.net.uk...
    >
    >>However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
    >>file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
    >>it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
    >>CD's.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't understand what you are saying. You do not need dos.
    >
    > To burn the bootable memtest86 iso to a cd all you need is any cd burning
    > program in any operating system. winxp works fine to burn with. Memtest
    > does not write to anything at all when it is running. So I don't see where
    > you need dos or a: or b:
    >

    If you have a CD burner, try this:

    http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

    Unzip the file under windows/dos and you will have a .iso file as a
    result. Use your favorite cd burning software to burn the .iso to disk.
    Voila, bootable Memtest86 CD.

    Hope this helps.

    -->Jeff

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Video Games