Installing UT99 problem...

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Hi

I've done this about a million times before, and nothing hardware has
really changed. Installing Totally Unreal (Europe, pre-patched to 436,
original) on XP on a 768MB xp2400.

Fresh install. However, every attempt ends with a critical erro part-way
through decompressing the maps. DecompressLength <= MAX_BUFFER_SIZE+1
Tried to install on a 60G and a 40G, ntfs and fat32. The latter has
worked before, and isn't the problem with too big a disk that ut's
installer has had before.

I *think* this may be related to a bunch of error messages regarding
memory that I'm getting from other apps about being unable to "read" or
"write" memory, and I'm suspicious of some XP hotfixes. However, trying
to remove one suggested by a forum post on a website made XP unable to
boot and I had to reinstall... (Great fun)

Before you ask, the RAM on this machine is fine, as is the rest of the
hardware (I'm 99% sure). nVidia chipset, home built.

Anyone come across something similar? I wanted to reinstall to start
from scratch again, my current ut having got a tad bloaty...

Thanks!

--
Flash

Are you also occasionally getting the little yellow delayed write fail
message when writing to and from a hard disk? If yes it some thing to do
with hard disk buffer timings and there are a million threads about it. I
seem to have cured that by updating the nforce motherboard drivers.

Other wise I have no idea.

Vis

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Visine wrote:
> Are you also occasionally getting the little yellow delayed write fail
> message when writing to and from a hard disk? If yes it some thing to do
> with hard disk buffer timings and there are a million threads about it. I
> seem to have cured that by updating the nforce motherboard drivers.

Not god anything like that. I've tried resetting pagefile settings, and
nothing recently.

Also trying nvidia drivers, but at 1.7k/s from taiwan, it might be an
all-nighter... :/

--
Flash

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Flash wrote:

> I *think* this may be related to a bunch of error messages regarding
> memory that I'm getting from other apps about being unable to "read" or
> "write" memory, and I'm suspicious of some XP hotfixes.

Ah, I was wrong about the memory on this machine. It got progressively
worse until I couldn't even run my existing UT install without it
bombing out with a Pure error. A tad frustrating when 9 guys are waiting
for you to play a war.

So - I pulled one of the dimms. The problem instantly went away and
everything is working again.

Guys - don't buy Matrix-badged dimms (sold through ebuyer and others as
unbadged). Second 256Mb DIMM I've had fail (the other was bad from the
start) in six months - that's 100% failure rate for that brand.

--
Flash

Glad you got it sorted. Memory snags are so easy to overlook

Vis.

Meltdown

Flash enlightened us with:
> Ah, I was wrong about the memory on this machine. It got
> progressively worse until I couldn't even run my existing UT install
> without it bombing out with a Pure error. A tad frustrating when 9
> guys are waiting for you to play a war.

Next time you encouter weird crashes etc. check out Memtest86. It's
the best software memory tester I've seen.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

MeltDown wrote:

> Next time you encouter weird crashes etc. check out Memtest86. It's
> the best software memory tester I've seen.

Ack, but it's a pain to use when your pc doesn't have any floppy ports
and rawrite under DOS won't let you format anything but A: and B: ...

This is the first time I've had memory fail in any way other than when
it was first installed. Normally it either works or doesn't.

--
Flash

Meltdown

Flash enlightened us with:
> Ack, but it's a pain to use when your pc doesn't have any floppy
> ports and rawrite under DOS won't let you format anything but A: and
> B: ...

You can install it as a separate choice when you use LILO or another
boot manager. Never tried it on a windoze-only system.

Margolis wrote:
> huh? If you don't have a floppy do you have a cd burner? Just burn the iso
> to a cd. It is very simple to use. And once you burn it to a cd you will
> have it to use whenever you want.

Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
problem.

--
Flash

"Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message

> Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
> problem.

Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a cd
burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:45:55 -0600, Margolis wrote:

> "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
>> problem.
>>

> Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a
> cd burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.

I'm guessing that he's speaking of the limitations of the Memtest program
itself, although I'm not clear on why it would need to write to disk, at
all. But, then again, I'm not clear on a lot of things, anymore.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Margolis wrote:

>>Yep, except it only allows you to use A: and B: to write to, hence the
>>problem.

> Is this some limited linux program you are running? I have never seen a cd
> burning program that will only allow you to burn to a or b.

Nooo... (Hint: Linux doesn't access drives by drive letters, that's a
purely dos/windows thing)

Memtest86 is a bootable image file that is completely OS-undependant.
Since all OS's have memory handlers that might introduce or mask true
errors of a rigorous test. (Broken memory handlers might be causing the
errors, rather than the memory itself).

However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
CD's.

It is possible that the .bin is in a format that Nero or similar
gui-based cd writing software can handle, I didn't think of trying that.

--

> However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
> file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
> it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
> CD's.

I don't understand what you are saying. You do not need dos.

To burn the bootable memtest86 iso to a cd all you need is any cd burning
program in any operating system. winxp works fine to burn with. Memtest
does not write to anything at all when it is running. So I don't see where
you need dos or a: or b:

--

{AGUT}DeadMan wrote:

> I'm guessing that he's speaking of the limitations of the Memtest program
> itself, although I'm not clear on why it would need to write to disk, at
> all. But, then again, I'm not clear on a lot of things, anymore.

'Cos you need to boot to the disk it creates, it runs without an OS.

--
Flash

Margolis wrote:
> "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
>
>>However, memtest86 comes with two ways of writing the image file (a .bin
>>file) - rawrite for linux, or rawrite for DOS. Since I use XP at home,
>>it's the DOS version that's needed, and THAT doesn't support writing to
>>CD's.
>

> I don't understand what you are saying. You do not need dos.
>
> To burn the bootable memtest86 iso to a cd all you need is any cd burning
> program in any operating system. winxp works fine to burn with. Memtest
> does not write to anything at all when it is running. So I don't see where
> you need dos or a: or b:

If you have a CD burner, try this:

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

Unzip the file under windows/dos and you will have a .iso file as a
result. Use your favorite cd burning software to burn the .iso to disk.
Voila, bootable Memtest86 CD.

Hope this helps.

-->Jeff