Sign in with
Your question

Why do they still sell DDR2 Systems

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2010 5:46:00 AM

Hey guys DDR3 is out, Why do stores still sell DDR2 systems when DDR3 is available?

More about : sell ddr2 systems

August 23, 2010 6:17:44 AM

Same reason theres a market for 10/20 year old cars
not everyone can afford latest kit and have to settle for handed down gear
or older tech,
plus the stores obviously have stock on hand to 'get rid' of
Moto
August 23, 2010 6:53:43 AM

That's true, But they have had these DDR2 systems in store for awhile now surely they should of gotten rid of most of them, They could recycle the systems they got and just take that money and start selling DDR3 systems?
Related resources
August 23, 2010 1:22:26 PM

Quote:
you can't speak for everybody 'jonathern'..
economy sucks for more than just a few people..

Im not speaking for everyone, Im just saying since DDR3 is out now shouldn't they be moving towards selling PC's with the DDR3 platform, As everyone keeps saying DDR3 is selling at roughly the same price as DDR2?
August 23, 2010 2:12:46 PM

But then if you have guys like me with 3gb of ddr2, it makes a lot of sense to spend 20 bucks to go to 4gb ddr2, grab an am2+ board with an amd quad and keep trucking for another 2-3 years.
August 23, 2010 3:13:42 PM

You can say... we are still in a cross-over phase. There are many people with good configs stuck with DDR2 RAM's. It will take some more time before we see the DDR2's completely die out. But you do notice that DDR2 RAM's are considerably more expensive these days as availability is coming down. In the US hardware changes quite frequently, but in other parts of the world it takes quite some time for the newer hardware to sink in the market, coz of the higher prices, lack of availability and other factors. I am from India, here people still go for DDR2 RAM's.
August 23, 2010 6:33:23 PM

Where were you guys when iwas attacked on the core i series and DDR3 subject,lol, Im just saying cause everyone is saying to me sockett 775 is dead etc, If so retailers should just cross over
August 23, 2010 7:13:19 PM

Well actually here in the states, the prices of ddr2 and ddr3 seem to be right at the same level. So if you are building a new computer, ddr2 makes little sense. However, if you already have 2+ gb of ddr2, grabbing an am2+ board, amd quad or even 6 core makes a lot of sense. DDR3 is faster, but how much faster really. If you can have 4 gb plus, in most applications, you will probably see only a little difference if any in most apps. But for games, maybe a few frames per second, but probably not enough that most guys except true geeks will care.

However, if you are on a budget, 100 bucks can make or break a budget.
August 24, 2010 5:37:01 AM

You guys should of been in my last thread, You would of been frowned upon as i was trying to find out why all of a suddn DDR2 is dead go DDR3 as was said, I tried every possible thing to try and see why you had to upgrade, To me there is no such thing as future proof because everything gets critized, ok i play games but seldom yet im told that soon games will be built on Core i series and DDR3 platform hence why i say they may as well sell PC's with DDR3 systems inside, Ask anywhere on the forums and look how you get told Socket 775 is dead and upgrade to DDR3 to stay ahead of the times or my favourite it was said like this to me "you sound like one of those people who tried to keep DDR alive" I said no im just trying to find the logic in upgrading when no application uses that performance, Most applications only ask for 1GB RAM and a core2duo, Yet i got 4GB RAM and a cor2quad.
August 24, 2010 6:12:54 AM

Personally I walked away from that thread because I could see how it was going to end up lol :) 
I am happy for folks who can afford and have the shiniest latest kit,
But I have Respect for those who can make things last
Moto
August 24, 2010 6:51:33 AM

Ha ha ha left me to die, I was a lone soldier,lol,Well i just feel we should only upgrade when the need arises otherwise just keep what you got cause its still a gaming rig,You all know what games ask for, Just cause someone has more flashing lights than you doesn't mean he/She is cooler than you, If your system works for you there is no need,Just hype out there because its available.
August 24, 2010 7:32:25 AM

If I can afford the best of something and would use it to a good degree of its potential I'd buy it,
if I cant afford it, I get/cobble what I can,
but no way would I have a £20,000 Bike to go to the cornershop, or a Hexcore/3ssd's triple Xfire rig to play flash games :) 
imo, That am dumb hehe
sry, checked grammar dictionary, That are dumb :p 

Moto
August 24, 2010 7:58:55 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
If I can afford the best of something and would use it to a good degree of its potential I'd buy it,
if I cant afford it, I get/cobble what I can,
but no way would I have a £20,000 Bike to go to the cornershop, or a Hexcore/3ssd's triple Xfire rig to play flash games :) 
imo, That am dumb hehe
sry, checked grammar dictionary, That are dumb :p 

Moto

Well im not a hardcore gamer i mean i play COD4 and stuff like that but prefer stratergy,lol,Guess some of those enjoy having a life more i cant sit behind a square block all day and night,lol,Well its safe to say then if you got a decent rig going keep it,if you got money to spare upgrade it.But i would not spend say 14000 on a PC thats crazy,Could by a car with that,lol
August 24, 2010 8:01:08 AM

true, and personally I'd spend £1200ish on a system for me, one for the Gf and put the rest onto a nice bike or two,
I only play Wow myself, not a gamer really :p 
off to sleep now, nightshifts hehe
Moto
August 24, 2010 8:21:15 AM

I think the 775 as a platform is dead definitely. But DDR2 RAM's are not as of now. But surely they would die out too. So when going for a new config no one would want a config whose parts would be difficult to find within a year.

Lets say you go for a DDR2/LGA775 socket now. 1.5 year later your RAM's go bad and then you wont find DDR2 RAM's in the market. So just for a stupid RAM you would have to spend a whole lot more and change the whole platform. So double the expense in half the time. Baaaaad!

Although i don't know what you're last thread was about. Cant recollect!
August 24, 2010 8:50:42 AM

You don't want to recollect,lol,No the thing is i was merely trying to see the reason why, The thing i took from that was just keep what you got and when the need arises upgrade, I got a good machine and if i put away small amounts every month i can buy everything all at once in one go its a waste if you buy DDR2 now i agree, Just depends what you want out of the computer.
August 24, 2010 8:56:07 AM

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't see DDR2 systems if they had DDR3 systems. I reckon they're just getting rid of old DDR2 machines, most of which are LGA 775 based and some AM2+, and these systems tend to be cheaper.
August 24, 2010 10:17:28 AM

Yeah but then the should atleast have one DDR3 system on sale
August 24, 2010 1:51:37 PM

Jonathern said:
Hey guys DDR3 is out, Why do stores still sell DDR2 systems when DDR3 is available?

Because people still buy them.
August 24, 2010 8:29:40 PM

Jonathern said:
Yeah but then the should atleast have one DDR3 system on sale

Show me a shop where only DDR2 systems are sold then?
August 25, 2010 5:38:27 AM

Well since i don't live in the US i can't really say which shop, But here by me we still selling DDR2 systems in the shops while we have DDR3 and CORE i Series CPU's available
August 25, 2010 4:20:22 PM

Jonathern said:

Hey guys we have space ships. How come our cars don't fly yet? Shouldn't we be living on the moon by now? The technology is available.
August 25, 2010 6:01:35 PM

I still have DDR2. :(  I should probably fix that someday. Oh, the endless road of computer upgrading. Then again, I knew what I was getting myself into when I took this route.
August 25, 2010 10:50:39 PM

Hey, if it's not broken don't fix it. If you are like me, it's a lot easier come up with a hundred or two for upgrades instead of upgrading full bore at once.
August 26, 2010 5:20:16 AM

Well like i always say, if you can afford it go for it but i really see no need, Yes DDR3 and say Core i7 Are much faster but is really priority right now no i don't think so, But if we are forced to then sell the systems in the stores stop selling DDR2 then if socket 775 is dead.
August 26, 2010 5:22:55 AM

jeffenatrix said:
Hey guys we have space ships. How come our cars don't fly yet? Shouldn't we be living on the moon by now? The technology is available.

Well as funny as that may be unfortunately this is computers we talking about, Please use the correct principals when adding a comment to the thread
August 26, 2010 5:26:11 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Hey, if it's not broken don't fix it. If you are like me, it's a lot easier come up with a hundred or two for upgrades instead of upgrading full bore at once.

Thats one way to look at it but just like the great push with DDR we experiencing it yet again with DDR2, All im merely wondering if they want everyone to use DDR3 and the core i series sell it at DDR2's prices and push DDR2 higher in price, Its supply and demand really then everyone can afford DDR3
August 26, 2010 8:19:18 AM

Eventually I think ddr2 will get like ddr3, where it's cheaper to get ddr3 and people will eventually move that way, but I'd say the market is still flooded with ddr2 machines either that people have already, or that retailers are wanting to move out, especially after the down economy. So that is probably why you still see a lot.
August 26, 2010 8:36:51 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Eventually I think ddr2 will get like ddr3, where it's cheaper to get ddr3 and people will eventually move that way, but I'd say the market is still flooded with ddr2 machines either that people have already, or that retailers are wanting to move out, especially after the down economy. So that is probably why you still see a lot.

You may just have hit the nail on this thread, I like people who are straight foward
August 26, 2010 12:25:08 PM

blackhawk has it in 5 words, "Because people still buy them." Frequently, "good enough" is good enough.

First thing - memory prices. We are seeing what is happening to DDR2 vs. DDR3 at the same price that we did when the market changed from DDR to DDR2 and when SDRAM changed to DDR RAM.

At first, new tech memory was more expensive. As it achieves more market penetration, its costs drop. Then more and more factories shift over to the newer stuff and the price of the old stuff goes up. We are now in the third phase of DDR2 and DDR3 RAM.

One point of this is to buy all the RAM you need when you first get your system. It will cost more later.

On LGA775 systems - I have two perfectly good overclocked quad core (Q9550 and Q6600) systems that do everything I need for them to do.

And speaking of "dead" and "obsolete", the current Intel motherboards will be dead next year. And people are still building i5 and i7 systems. :) 
August 26, 2010 12:53:59 PM

jsc said:
blackhawk has it in 5 words, "Because people still buy them." Frequently, "good enough" is good enough.

First thing - memory prices. We are seeing what is happening to DDR2 vs. DDR3 at the same price that we did when the market changed from DDR to DDR2 and when SDRAM changed to DDR RAM.

At first, new tech memory was more expensive. As it achieves more market penetration, its costs drop. Then more and more factories shift over to the newer stuff and the price of the old stuff goes up. We are now in the third phase of DDR2 and DDR3 RAM.

One point of this is to buy all the RAM you need when you first get your system. It will cost more later.

On LGA775 systems - I have two perfectly good overclocked quad core (Q9550 and Q6600) systems that do everything I need for them to do.

And speaking of "dead" and "obsolete", the current Intel motherboards will be dead next year. And people are still building i5 and i7 systems. :) 

So would you say we will never have the best really due to the fast paced advances in technology?Is it better to do up what you have and save and just buy a whole system with the latest hardware?
August 26, 2010 1:18:11 PM

Is DDR4 anywhere near the horizon?
August 26, 2010 8:57:46 PM

Also, keep in mind as well guys, look at how fast computers are compared to what they were say 5 years ago. I think at a point, you hit a wall. How fast is fast enough? Look in layman's terms. For people who only want an internet machine, something with say a p4, and 1.5-2 gb of ram running xp is more than enough. A dual core much less a quad or 6 core with 4+ gb of ram is likely overkill for most people now. Eventually people will move to those things, but I think it may be later rather than sooner.

And again, with a down economy, people would like to have the latest and greatest, but with things as they are, I think as long as things work, most people are going to stick it out with what they've got until it won't work anymore.

We started a computer business 3-5 months ago, and my biggest seller has been virus/spyware removal, OS reinstalls, and memory upgrades. Not one new system yet. This even counting the fact that I've been underpricing all the competition too. Next idea is get into used computers, in other words recycle old systems salvage things like pentium 4 machines and newer that may be worth something, refurb it, and resell. But most people I'm talking to either want a used machine, or to have what they've got fixed to soldier on for a little while longer.
August 27, 2010 8:39:48 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Is DDR4 anywhere near the horizon?

People Claim By 2012 DDR4 Will Be Available
August 27, 2010 8:47:31 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Also, keep in mind as well guys, look at how fast computers are compared to what they were say 5 years ago. I think at a point, you hit a wall. How fast is fast enough? Look in layman's terms. For people who only want an internet machine, something with say a p4, and 1.5-2 gb of ram running xp is more than enough. A dual core much less a quad or 6 core with 4+ gb of ram is likely overkill for most people now. Eventually people will move to those things, but I think it may be later rather than sooner.

And again, with a down economy, people would like to have the latest and greatest, but with things as they are, I think as long as things work, most people are going to stick it out with what they've got until it won't work anymore.

We started a computer business 3-5 months ago, and my biggest seller has been virus/spyware removal, OS reinstalls, and memory upgrades. Not one new system yet. This even counting the fact that I've been underpricing all the competition too. Next idea is get into used computers, in other words recycle old systems salvage things like pentium 4 machines and newer that may be worth something, refurb it, and resell. But most people I'm talking to either want a used machine, or to have what they've got fixed to soldier on for a little while longer.

You see its like this, If your a gamer online,Lan party member etc. Go get the best, If your just casual gamer and work mostly on the PC Keep your current system do you agree with that?
August 27, 2010 3:00:03 PM

dont forget tho,
Lanners are likely to buy xxx because its bragging rights gear
Latest standard ram, xxx cooling rig set up, xx septopleuronic sound directly injected into the aural nerves (Proper bassy man you get me?) :p 
So-called normal people will cling to old tech as long as its possible,
One, they feel they know,and therefore can 'trust' it
and two, the cost factor, if its mainstream, its usually affordable, or made so by the producers.
If ddr was still widely available today, I reckon a lot of builders/shops would still burn a fair trade from it, people looking to step up a touch would use ddr2 and H/c Gamers, elitists and professionals would be on the cutting edge with ddr3

Moto
August 28, 2010 6:16:43 AM

For me it's like this, I've got a life, I've got bills to deal with. I can upgrade what I have to still use my existing ddr2, but go to a modern faster processor later. If I want to upgrade my pc, toss in a quad, another gb of ddr2, and a better video card. Another guy with ddr3 and the same config otherwise may get 3-4 frames per second more, but so what, I mean what does that really do for real world useability? If your game is 3-4 fps different than someone else's, if you are running decent framerates, will you even really perceive that difference? And at that, if you will ok, if you still have ddr2 memory in your rig, if you spend a little more money and go to say 6-8 gb, in that sense, you gotta ask is more slow memory better than less really fast memory? You just have to ask what do you really gain with the ddr3? Sure you probably gain some improvement, but for most people, probably not enough to justify essentially a full rebuild.
August 30, 2010 5:30:13 AM

Wish you guys were there when i waged war with the core i series thread,lol,Well i look at it like this yes DDR3 is better than DDR2 in performance and so forth but we have all this new hardware and no software thats needing it, I mean we advance hardware so much that we forget about what will use it, Take a game for example by the time there is any games that need more than a DDR2 platform we will have DDR5, Its a sad truth but i predict it
August 30, 2010 5:33:44 AM

^ It's more about the fact that most people ordering new systems they'll want DDR3. DDR2 is becoming more and more expensive, slowly being obsolete. DDR3 does not offer that much of a benefit over DDR2, that's agreed, but why stick with old technology when newer is available for less? Also it's much less of whether it's DDR2 or DDR3 which makes the platform good for gaming, you could have a Phenom II X4 965 BE w/DDR2 which would be much faster than a Pentium G6950 with DDR3. DDR2 systems are available simply because of stock availability.
August 30, 2010 5:58:53 AM

Lmeow said:
^ It's more about the fact that most people ordering new systems they'll want DDR3. DDR2 is becoming more and more expensive, slowly being obsolete. DDR3 does not offer that much of a benefit over DDR2, that's agreed, but why stick with old technology when newer is available for less? Also it's much less of whether it's DDR2 or DDR3 which makes the platform good for gaming, you could have a Phenom II X4 965 BE w/DDR2 which would be much faster than a Pentium G6950 with DDR3. DDR2 systems are available simply because of stock availability.

Well to just some clarity, People like me and the others here know that DDR3 is here and cheaper than DDR2 but we and i hope i speak for the few that commented on this thread feel that a person on a budget or not should just keep their DDR2 systems till there is an actual need to upgrade cause it would mean a whole overhaul of a system just for an extra bit of performance, Basically hang on to the bitter end if you know what i mean
August 30, 2010 6:40:52 AM

I know what you mean, those with adequate DDR2 systems shouldn't be pressured to upgrade unless they need a completely new system.
August 30, 2010 7:14:51 AM

For example:

I had an AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard in my "beast" and I had 8 GB of DDR2-800

When I was building my HTPC I thought "Save money and steal 4 GB from my 'beast'"

So I saved 100 bucks and went with an ASUS 785G motherboard, which is pretty bad ass for an HTPC.

It's situational. If I were to build a new computer, I'd go with DDR3 obviously. In fact if I did, I'd give my DDR2 RAM and Gigabyte 790X AM2+ motherboard to my poor friend thats using a P4/755/1 GB DDR set up.

My gear is still good, which is why you still see DDR2 systems around.
August 30, 2010 7:29:27 AM

cmcghee358 said:
For example:

I had an AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard in my "beast" and I had 8 GB of DDR2-800

When I was building my HTPC I thought "Save money and steal 4 GB from my 'beast'"

So I saved 100 bucks and went with an ASUS 785G motherboard, which is pretty bad ass for an HTPC.

It's situational. If I were to build a new computer, I'd go with DDR3 obviously. In fact if I did, I'd give my DDR2 RAM and Gigabyte 790X AM2+ motherboard to my poor friend thats using a P4/755/1 GB DDR set up.

My gear is still good, which is why you still see DDR2 systems around.

Well i think you should save to you can buy a complete system and should only do so when the need arises, Well in other words when you notice your future games begin to lag.
September 2, 2010 8:45:39 AM

Another reason ...

When someone asks my coworkers, "How fast a computer do you need?"
The stock answer is , "Faster than John's."

I'm John. :D 

Actually, although I have a Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz for gaming and multimedia, my workhorse is still an AMD XP2400+ with an FX5700.

Like I said earlier, "good enough" is good enough.
September 2, 2010 11:30:19 AM

Oh well to me even though i may not have a high performanced machine on a DDR2 platform, I have not yet noticed a lag in gaming but then again im not a hardcore gamer,lol
!