Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How much faster will Sandy Bridge be then Core 2 Quad?

Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2010 9:32:01 PM

I have a Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz Q6700.
I know the Intel Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 and LGA 2011 i7's will be coming out next year. About how much faster will the LGA 1155 be? How about the LGA 2011? Are we talking about ~50% performance gain or like double?

Thanks

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2010 10:06:40 PM

If the migration from Core 2 architecture to Nehalem saw 20-30% in increase clock per clock, then I will assume that there will be another 10-20% improvement from the 1st gen Nehalem to Sandy Bridge.

All in all, you will see about 30-50% performance increase. But hey, anything could happen... We will need to see the benchmarks when new processors come out.
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2010 8:33:20 AM

+1^
We have to wait for the final benchmarks to judge better but i think you can expect at least 50% performance increase from your current CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2010 2:48:51 PM

^+2. According to the AnandTech preview for SB, it appears that SB will be ~10-25% faster than Nehalem depending on workload,etc. So My guess is it would be ~50% faster than a C2Q esp. with multithreded software.
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2010 2:57:25 PM

^^Agreed^ +3, Here is the Anandtech article Shadow is referring to( http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre... ), just in case you feel like doing a bit of reading :)  This is probably the best Sandy Bridge preview out to date.

Just a side note: The benchmarks Anandtech did compaired the Sandy Bridge Core i5 2400 without Hyper Threading, to the Core i7 880 with Hyper Threading and Core i7 980x with Hyper Threading and the Sandy Bridge was close to or on par with these chips and sometimes showed better performance.
a c 79 à CPUs
November 11, 2010 12:34:22 AM

If you dont mind overclocking that would be your best bet at this stage. core 2 quads are still fast enough to do anything with weather it be gaming, encoding video, or whatever. I hate speculation about new things that there are not released or reviewed.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2010 1:30:08 AM

It may not be released, but it has been reviewed by Anandtech as Shadow and I both have said. Anandtech has had this chip in their possession for a couple of months, and the peformance numbers of the actual chip will be better that those they benchmarked because the HT was disabled and who knows what other final refinements it lacks.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2010 3:17:19 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
If you dont mind overclocking that would be your best bet at this stage. core 2 quads are still fast enough to do anything with weather it be gaming, encoding video, or whatever.

+1. That's what I'm doing with my current Q6700 65nm quadcore system - going with an SSD and a more modern video card and oc. That'll get me by until both the performance Sandy Bridge models (socket 1356 and socket 2011) are out. Also hopefully desktop Bulldozer.

Quote:
I hate speculation about new things that there are not released or reviewed.

Now there I disagree (and probably a lot of enthusiasts here do too). Speculation is fine as long as it is clearly noted as such. Although repetitive threads on the subject do tend to get annoying. Personally I think a mod should make and sticky the SB and BD speculative threads here, so that any new links or info are in one place for the enthusiasts to read, plus cut out the 90% repetitive stuff..
January 17, 2011 3:45:13 AM

Best answer selected by carfreak3504.
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 8:57:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!