Sign in with
Your question

Dell Optiplex 170L Motherboard doesn't boot up my...

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2010 7:25:31 AM

hp Hard drive running on XP. It can see it it just refuses to boot-up with it. Had jumpers on cable select and Master, but nothing. Is there anyway to configure my HDD so that the mobo can boot it up?

BIOS A07
2.66 Ghz Pentium 4
120 GB Seagate
XP Home Version 32-bit
1GB RAM
August 23, 2010 1:52:46 PM

Did the system boot properly before? Is the HDD the only device connected to the IDE cable or is there another HDD or optical drive attached to it?

If the only device, it could be a defective cable or the HDD itself. If not the only device on the ribbon cable, verify that both are not set to master or slave. You can set them both the CS (Dell default config).

If you can change cables, try that. Also, verify that your BIOS detects the HDD and has it selected as the default boot device.

Good luck!
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:15:20 AM

I have just one HDD and the BIOS does recognize however, it refuses to boot it up. Does Dell make their systems incompatible with other brands ??
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 12:36:43 PM

So the HDD came out of an HP and has XP installed on it, right? That is the HDD in question in the Dell. Do I have it right?

If so, it won't easily boot as the drivers from the 2 systems are likely different. Can you boot into Safe Mode?
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:38:27 PM

ms4teacher said:
I have just one HDD and the BIOS does recognize however, it refuses to boot it up. Does Dell make their systems incompatible with other brands ??

Dell doesn't make the HDDs incompatible, rather Windows installs specific drivers/files for each system based on the hardware present at install. Switching from one PC to another can be done, but it is better to just reload the OS on the new platform. Makes for a better, more stable install.
m
l
!