PCI Express 1.0

Hello i am using a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a pentium 4 processer 1gb of ram and the factory onboard graphics card.
i want to upgrade my graphics card but i am not sure what will be compatible with my system as the PCI express is only 1.0
can anyone help pls

Thank You
6 answers Last reply
More about express
  1. Any PCI-e 2.0 card will work in your system. power supply permitting.
  2. thats what i thought but so i looked around and i had been told that a Nvidia 9400gt would work fine but when i installed both my fans started running on full and that was before i even turned my computer on for some reason it did not like it and would not boot up
    can you suggest any other compatible cards
  3. The 9400GT is compatible, its not a compatibility problem. What power supply do you have?

Also it sounds like you had your computer plugged while you were configuring hardware, you should leave it unplugged.
  4. No i fully switched off and unplugged the tower before i tried installing it. Am using the standard uk based 230v power supply that came with the system

i have just checked my power supply wattage and it says its 250w
  5. What GPU were you using before? If it's an onboard one, do you have to turn it off manually or does it auto detect a discrete card?
  6. i was using an onboard GPU did not even try to turn it on and change the bios setting due to the immense speed that the cooling fans were running as i dont want to blow my system
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics