Would a UPS be helpful?

thnksqrd

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Recently had a small problem with my newly built rig.

Was running fine for a little over a week, but when my room heater clicked on for the first time, it completely shut down suddenly, and now I get no response at all from power button (I've followed the steps in the troubleshooting guide, and believe the PSU died, have a new one arriving tommorrow, if it's not that, I'm still withing the 30 day replacement time for Newegg, so will simply replace the whole thing) but what I'm wondering is if a UPS would be necessary. since the new PSU ive ordered to replace my rather cut-rate first choice (replacing an out of box SeaSonic SS-650HT with a NZXT HALE90 750W) comes with APFC.

If a UPS would be a good option (currently just using a surge protector of course) would this be a good option,

CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

Seasonic are among the best PSU's out there and make many models for other brand names as well, I would have stuck with them as NZXT is lesser known. Say no to open box items, they are always a gamble, you dont know what has happended to them.

As for the Active PFC almost any respectable brand should have this feature. And as long as you have a quality surge protector and everything else is in good working order, you should be just fine.

There is a chance that the power your getting off the grid is fluctuating and causing issues, but I would belive you would need a elecrician to test for that. But other than that a UPS would be overkill unless your are doing alot of important work on your PC that would be a big problem if you lost it when you suddenly lose power(say like running a home business or similar type of work).

I would say to wait until you get your new PSU installed and see how things go and if all is Ok, but if your still having problems, then look into it further.

Well I hope that helps and you get your PSU issue solved quickly.