Your opinion -- is it likely this MOBO is damaged after catastrophy?

Olliepop

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hey guys! A little while ago i posted this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306175-28-destroyed-else

Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-M EVO3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2ghz
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL9 2x2GB
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB
PSU: Aywun A1-650E 650W
DVD: Lite-On iHAS524
CASE: Antec 300

TL;DR: My PSU 'popped' and there was a smoking smell. I have sent it back for a replacement from the supplier. It could have been due to a number of things. The machine was working fine without RAM, i took the CPU out, put the RAM and CPU back in, and plugged in USB speakers and the PSU popped. A brand new machine being built.

It was possible the CPU pins were broken when being pulled out and put back in.

There are currently no bits of the CPU pins in the motherboard. I can not see any blackened connectors or signs of damage to the motherboard.

If the PSU failed, is it possible that the Motherboard and RAM are alright? I will receive the PSU back from supplier in the coming week/s. Do you have any past experience with short-circuited PSU's that did not damage the motherboard or other components? Or do you have any advice to share?

Thanks in advance!

From my experience a year ago, I use bad PSU from stock case. In 6 month my dvd rw broken , in one year I must buy 2 dvd rw he he that is bad bad day.
I checked my mobo , test ram , cpu is fine, but no for dvd rw (still working just reading dvd and alway's fail when burn cd or dvd, I think optic dvd broken beacuse voltage unstable from PSU).
Tips : if push switch power , my pc won't boot and push it again hold long long time, finally pc can boot. And I hear very noise in the component PSU, That is PSU almost die and broken.