Sign in with
Your question

Installing/cloning a SSD?

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2012 1:39:27 PM

I've bough a 128gb Samsung 830 SSD for my Sager np8170, which currently just has a 500gb hybrid drive. I want to use the SSD as a boot drive, so I know that I'll need to clone the HDD which has the OS to the SSD. Unfortunately, my HDD is nearly full, so I plan to backup the HDD to a 1tb external HDD, then wipe the HDD of excessive data, clone the HDD to the SSD, and then transfer back all the files on the external hdd to its respective drive.

Things is, I understand the concept in theory but practically am not sure how it all works. Let me know if anything below is incorrect/ please answer some questions I have:

1) Use Norton Ghost to make a complete backup of the HDD onto the external HDD (I assume there is simply a "backup" button or something?)
2) Wipe excess files (480gb worth) off internal HDD (and I assume the only way to do that is delete/uninstall most applications)? Is there a more efficient way of doing this?
3) Use USB-SATA transfer cable and norton ghost to clone HDD to SSD.
4) Install SSD in secondary drive bay (insert bay adapter, and just slide/click the SSD in?) Is there any issues with the SSD/boot drive not being in the primary hard drive bay? I think its all SATA 3

5) What do I do now? How do I change the boot drive in BIOS to the SSD???

6) Copy files back to HDD from external, and done!

Comments/suggestions/answers needed!

More about : installing cloning ssd

a c 311 G Storage
November 26, 2012 4:01:43 PM

I would highly recommend a clean installation on the SSD the first time.

You will run into issues with your approach, I use Ghost 15 to clone SSDs, but it doesn't clone from larger partitions to smaller. You would have to cut down files and programs until you could shrink your Windows volume to under the formatted size of the SSD.

And remember that you also have to clone the 100Mb SRP (system reserved partition). Also, before you start make a system repair disc -- just type that into the start button run line and follow the wizard to make a CD. It is useful if you need to repair the SRP after the clone. If you do go forward with the clone approach, which I would discourage, here are the Ghost steps in Copy My Disk:

For the SRP (do it first) use these settings -- and the SRP will be hidden so check the box to show hidden partitions:

Set drive active (for booting OS)
DON'T SELECT Disable SmartSector copying
DON'T SELECT Ignore bad sectors during copy
Copy MBR
Destination partition type : Primary
Drive letter : None

For Win7 OS partition:

Resize drive to fill unallocated space
November 26, 2012 4:15:45 PM

RealBeast said:
I would highly recommend a clean installation on the SSD the first time.

You will run into issues with your approach, I use Ghost 15 to clone SSDs, but it doesn't clone from larger partitions to smaller. You would have to cut down files and programs until you could shrink your Windows volume to under the formatted size of the SSD.

And remember that you also have to clone the 100Mb SRP (system reserved partition). Also, before you start make a system repair disc -- just type that into the start button run line and follow the wizard to make a CD. It is useful if you need to repair the SRP after the clone. If you do go forward with the clone approach, which I would discourage, here are the Ghost steps in Copy My Disk:

For the SRP (do it first) use these settings -- and the SRP will be hidden so check the box to show hidden partitions:

Set drive active (for booting OS)
Copy MBR

For Win7 OS partition:

Resize drive to fill unallocated space

Thank you for the detailed response. I understand the need for a clean install, however how can I get another copy of windows 7? Mine came pre-installed on my system, and I don't really want to buy it all over again... If I do a clean install, will using the HDD as a secondary drive have any implications (due to the os being installed on there as well)? And how can I remove the os from the if I do a clean install, since I don't need it on the HDD anymore?
a c 311 G Storage
November 26, 2012 4:26:00 PM

You can download a legit trial version iso image of the identical Windows 7 version that you are using except in SP1 to save so many Windows updates, burn to a DVD, install with the HDD disconnected, and then activate Windows with your OEM key that should be printed on the sticker on your computer after the install is complete.

If you have any difficulty, which is unlikely, you can do a phone activation, which I have done a few times and MS understands and quickly authorizes when you need to do that (most often for an upgrade install done as a clean installation).

Here is the download location: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-7-Downloa...

Once you do the clean install and all the updates and specific drivers, then attach the HDD either in a second bay if you have one or by an external dock and you can then delete the Windows folder from the HDD.

edit: forgot to mention, download all the latest drivers for you machine from the manufacturer site before you start ( http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=driver_down... ) AND set the sata mode in the bios to AHCI right before the install to the SSD.
!