Sign in with
Your question

What power supply is compatible with my system?

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2010 1:25:11 AM

I have a compaq sr5710f

I was wondering which power supply can fit and is compatible with that desktop
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 1:40:56 AM

To put it simply: Any modern PSU will work just fine.

Best thing you could do is to take out your old/broken PSU and read how many watts it is rated at(will be on a sticker) and then go to Newegg.com and search for a PSU that has the same watt rating as your old one does.

Problem solved. :) 
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2010 1:41:53 AM

@thecheif the PSU for the PC hes talking about is 250w.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 2:53:13 AM

Nice find notsonoobpcguy, I looked at a few sites but could not locate the PSU specifications for the PC.

Well there you go mrrcookie, you need a 250w-300w ATX +12v PSU, here are a few PSU's I looked up on Newegg.com( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi... ) these all should power your PC just fine and they are reliable/quality products. You can get a smaller wattage and go for a cheaper model if you are not looking to spend alot. I would just go for the Antec basic.

Note: There are not alot of availible PSU at that wattage range, the ones I listed are higher that what you need, but this is not a problem and they will work perfectly and the costs are for the most part the same.
m
l
November 10, 2010 3:04:10 AM

wait am I limited to 250w-300w psu cant I go for a higher wattage like 500?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 3:28:16 AM

Your not limited to that, it is just all your system needs to run currently, unless you are planning to OC, put in a new GPU, some more hard drives or disk drives, fans or some other upgrade. Basically if your going to leave your system the way it is you do not need any more power than that.
m
l
November 10, 2010 3:32:27 AM

I'm planning to add a new graphic card and maybe an cpu upgrade.

If I was planning to get like a 5770 graphic card and i5 core how much watt would be suffice?
m
l
November 10, 2010 3:37:41 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If i were you mrcookie i would check that out, its a Plus 80 which basically means its more like 450 watts. I have a 5770 on it right now and a dual core AMD chip + a butt load of 120mm fans. This would totally handle it, now if you planning to Crossfire that might be another thing but this is a great PSU. Here are great Corsair PSUs just pick whats in your price range. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... Of course there are always other companies but I find Corsair to be super reputable.
m
l
November 10, 2010 3:53:12 AM

Thanks for your answer notsonoobpcguy

Can I just get a quick lesson or write up on how to check power supply compatibility on my Pc. I would really appreciate that
m
l
November 10, 2010 4:28:31 AM

Any PSU will work with your PC, they all have the same required power cables. It should be as easy as unplugging all your plugged in devices, unscrewing the PSU and taking it out. Than screwing in your new one and plugging whatever needs power (HDDs, CD drives, CPU, Graphics) than your done. Whats you price range? I pointed out the 400w one because i own it but if your willing to pay more, the higher wattage and voltage the better. Just pick one out of the Corsair list that i posted thats in your price range and post it here. You can always try another company though, SeaSonic and Coolermaster are good ones too. Basically i wouldn't go below 400w but the higher the better.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 12:33:39 PM

mrrcookie, Most manufactures of the AMD 5770 recommend a 450w PSU and a few say to use a 500w, so take a look at the card your interested in buying an check the PSU power recommendation with the manufacturer.

As for uprading to an i5 and the 5770, I would go for a 500w PSU just to be on the safe side, and even a jump up to that would be a small increase in the cost itself. If you ever plan on adding another 5770 for Crossfire, it is recommended to get a 600w PSU.

As notsonoobpcguy and I have explained PSU are for the most part all built with the same standard connections, you just need to make sure its ATX +12v, and everything will fit, same connectors for everything, just as your current PSU.

Best PSU manufactures to buy: Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and PC Power & Cooling. I am not saying others are not as well built but these companies have the best reputation for quality, reliability and service.

@notsonoobpcguy, I know thats his PC, I was looking for the PSU model not the PC.
m
l
November 10, 2010 1:31:37 PM

And mrrcookie some of the more reputable brands usually are more efficient they will say 80Plus on them. The more efficient the less powerful it actually needs to be.
m
l
!