Processor to serve 3 to 6 thin clients

grace_82

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I am looking for a config to support 3 to 6 thin clients. It is for my startup business in website designing and internet marketing. I am considering I7 920 / i7 860 / i5 750. Please suggest a suitable one for my need.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
That is nowhere near enough information.

For a start - figure out what you actually NEED and what specifically the users will be doing. You probably don't need the power of any one of those to start and even then you want the best power efficient processor you can get.

grace_82

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

The users will be working on Image editing softwares, MySQL DB and Apache server. I want to be sure that the performance is good for 6 users connecting to the same CPU.

grace_82

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

1. I will have more users later. But considering the price ratio of one powerful system to multiple less powerful systems, I was told 6 thin clients is a good number for one system to host. Hence my plan was to buy another system later(8months down the lane) when i have 6 more users. I'm open to suggestions here too.

2. It is desirable to be as scalable as possible keeping the price ratio intact again.

3. I have alternate systems in place. But if this system is out of work for more than an hour it will affect the job.

4. No. But would like to know, its affect on the choice of processor.

McHenryB

Admirable
You don't say what OS you are running on the server. If it's Windows you may find that the cost of the Client Access licences plus the thin client terminals is more than a standalone PC (which would have better performance). And if one computer goes down it doesn't affect all the rest.