No Sound in UT

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 10, 2005 12:09:42 AM

I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have always
liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've got no
sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this computer, so I
don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX 5900XT
video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with built in
sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is the new
video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on ver
9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other computer
running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run, just a
black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I hope
someone can help.

Thanks

More about : sound

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2005 5:46:20 AM

"Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have
always
| liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've
got no
| sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this
computer, so I
| don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX
5900XT
| video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with
built in
| sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is
the new
| video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on
ver
| 9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other
computer
| running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run,
just a
| black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I
hope
| someone can help.
|
| Thanks

Can't give you any certain answers, but UT runs just fine with dx9c,
at least on win2k. I'm sure I had dx9 (not sure what version) on a
win98 partition that I just wiped out, and UT played ok with it also.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Patch wrote:
> I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have always
> liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've got no
> sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this computer, so I
> don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX 5900XT
> video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with built in
> sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is the new
> video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on ver
> 9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other computer
> running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run, just a
> black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I hope
> someone can help.

UT plays fine in 9.0 (although windowing was broken some versions prior).

Why not just use OpenGL? Force a change of renderer from the prefs menu,
select "Show all devices", choose OpenGL.

--
Flash
a b U Graphics card

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:09:42 -0600, "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have always
>liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've got no
>sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this computer, so I
>don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX 5900XT
>video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with built in
>sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is the new
>video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on ver
>9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other computer
>running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run, just a
>black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I hope
>someone can help.
>
>Thanks

Weird. So you get sound in other games? I'm not near a copy of the
UT audio screen right now, but what have you got selected there? Have
you tried checking/unchecking Direct Sound? Maybe you could post the
relevant audio portion of your .ini.
February 11, 2005 12:28:55 AM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:09:42 -0600, "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have
always
> >liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've got no
> >sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this computer, so
> >don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX 5900XT
> >video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with built
in
> >sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is the new
> >video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on ver
> >9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other
computer
> >running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run, just a
> >black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I hope
> >someone can help.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Weird. So you get sound in other games? I'm not near a copy of the
> UT audio screen right now, but what have you got selected there? Have
> you tried checking/unchecking Direct Sound? Maybe you could post the
> relevant audio portion of your .ini.

My INI file is: "audiodevice=galaxy.galaxyaudiosubsystem" I've tried
checking & unchecking everything. I have no idea what Galaxy audio is. My
computer default is Via audio. I have great sound in all my other games.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2005 3:08:26 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:28:55 -0600, "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:09:42 -0600, "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I got bored with Doom 3 & Half Life 2, so I reinstalled UT as I have
>always
>> >liked that game. Well the graphics & game-play are great, but I've got no
>> >sound. A couple of years ago I had good sound in UT on this computer, so
>> >don't know what's happened. I'm running Win98, 768 Meg of Ram. FX 5900XT
>> >video card. Direct X ver 9.0c. 1.4 Gig CPU, Asus A7V-133 Mobo with built
>in
>> >sound. The only thing different from the last time I played UT is the new
>> >video card & the latest version of DirectX. (Maybe UT won't play on ver
>> >9.0c?) I've got the game patched to ver 436. I tried it on my other
>computer
>> >running XP Pro and even on compatability mode it won't even run, just a
>> >black screen. (it uses a TI-400 video card & DirectX ver 9.0c) I hope
>> >someone can help.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>>
>> Weird. So you get sound in other games? I'm not near a copy of the
>> UT audio screen right now, but what have you got selected there? Have
>> you tried checking/unchecking Direct Sound? Maybe you could post the
>> relevant audio portion of your .ini.
>>

>My INI file is: "audiodevice=galaxy.galaxyaudiosubsystem" I've tried
>checking & unchecking everything. I have no idea what Galaxy audio is. My
>computer default is Via audio. I have great sound in all my other games.
>
>Thanks

Look for the section in your .ini file that says:

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]

It's what's beneath that line that's possibly relevant. Here's mine:

UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=False
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=False
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=40
OutputRate=22050Hz
EffectsChannels=16
DopplerSpeed=9000.000000
MusicVolume=0
SoundVolume=96
AmbientFactor=0.700000

Compare to yours or post yours and maybe we'll find a clue.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2005 6:10:12 AM

You need to disable 3d sound, can't recall if it's EAX or what the
label is in the UT options. Here is the problem line:

| Use3dHardware=True

This should be enabled ONLY if you have a sound card that supports EAX
or A3D. You can manually edit the file and change the value to
"false".
--
Best regards,
Kyle

| On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:28:55 -0600, "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com>
| wrote:
|

| >"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
| >> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:09:42 -0600, "Patch"
<bob_acord@hotmail.com>

| >always
I've got no
FX 5900XT
| >in
| >computer

| >> Weird. So you get sound in other games? I'm not near a copy of
the
| >> UT audio screen right now, but what have you got selected there?
Have
| >> you tried checking/unchecking Direct Sound? Maybe you could post
the
| >> relevant audio portion of your .ini.
| >>

| >My INI file is: "audiodevice=galaxy.galaxyaudiosubsystem" I've
tried
| >checking & unchecking everything. I have no idea what Galaxy audio
is. My
| >computer default is Via audio. I have great sound in all my other
games.

| >Thanks
|
| Look for the section in your .ini file that says:
|
| [Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
|
| It's what's beneath that line that's possibly relevant. Here's
mine:

| UseDirectSound=True
| UseFilter=True
| UseSurround=False
| UseStereo=True
| UseCDMusic=False
| UseDigitalMusic=False
| UseSpatial=False
| UseReverb=True
| Use3dHardware=True
| LowSoundQuality=False
| ReverseStereo=False
| Latency=40
| OutputRate=22050Hz
| EffectsChannels=16
| DopplerSpeed=9000.000000
| MusicVolume=0
| SoundVolume=96
| AmbientFactor=0.700000
|
| Compare to yours or post yours and maybe we'll find a clue.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2005 7:59:41 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:10:12 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>You need to disable 3d sound, can't recall if it's EAX or what the
>label is in the UT options. Here is the problem line:
>
>| Use3dHardware=True
>
>This should be enabled ONLY if you have a sound card that supports EAX
>or A3D. You can manually edit the file and change the value to
>"false".

You're replying to the wrong guy Kylesb, 'cause I'm not the one with
the problem. I was posting the relevant section of my .ini as a
troubleshooting aid for the OP.

But thanks for trying to help! ;-)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2005 5:27:27 AM

| On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:10:12 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
|
| >You need to disable 3d sound, can't recall if it's EAX or what the
| >label is in the UT options. Here is the problem line:
| >
| >| Use3dHardware=True
| >
| >This should be enabled ONLY if you have a sound card that supports
EAX
| >or A3D. You can manually edit the file and change the value to
| >"false".
|
| You're replying to the wrong guy Kylesb, 'cause I'm not the one with
| the problem. I was posting the relevant section of my .ini as a
| troubleshooting aid for the OP.
|
| But thanks for trying to help! ;-)

LOL, oops!
--