Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External Samsung Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2012 4:19:41 PM

I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I've had for a few years. The USB cable that comes with it is the type of USB cable that has the little cylinder on the cable that draws power from your laptop to power the external hard drive. My husbands dog ate chewed our cable in half. All of my Wedding photos, Childrens photos and a lifetime of crap is on that little external hard drive. I'm at a loss.
I purchased a few USB cables trying to direct connect and nothing. It will connect to my television just fine to view photos etc but when I plug it into my laptop..nothing.
Bestbuy genius said that my laptop, that is Toshiba, doesn't support their own product line as far as external hard drives..so it's incompatible and the laptop won't allow it to gather the power needed to run the external hard drive.
I've googled and came up with nothing. I went to Toshiba's support site for products and support and couldn't find a cable for the model of external hard drive.
I'm frustrated!
I considered buying a new external, but there is no way of knowing if the cable in the box is the same or if its compatible with the laptop.

Google search brought up a tech site that said sometimes if you have a USB hub plugged into the laptop, and plug the drive with the standard USB cable into it, it might be able to get enough power to run the external hard drive...

Idc if it fixes it, I just want my *** off of the external hard drive and to toss it on ebay and let someone else deal with it. I can store everything on my laptop until I find a external that is compatible and works.

Any advice or suggestions?

jafoust@rocketmail.com

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
November 26, 2012 4:47:18 PM

As it is older, I will assume that it is USB 2.0. The little bump in the cable is a ferrite core that helps prevent radio interference, but the key is to get the same length (probably short since it is a device powered by the USB port). The other key is to get one with the correct connector on the drive end and a standard USB connector on the other that goes to the laptop. Does it look like this type: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&... Click on large view to see it well, and if the end connectors look different, look around the site, they have everything and it's all inexpensive but always works well for me.

edit: and once you get the correct cable and get it working -- BACK UP those photos to DVDs and store them off site if you really want them. Sooner or later that drive will die and or it will become corrupt, just look at all the posts about external drives suddenly converting to RAW files and not attaching.
a b D Laptop
a c 288 G Storage
November 26, 2012 4:48:57 PM

All I can find is a standard USB Y-cable:
http://bixnet.net/images/Cab-USB-YBlack.jpg

You appear to be describing something else. Could we see a photo of what you are talking about?

What is the model number of your external drive?

BTW, a powered USB hub sounds like a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 7:58:48 PM

Best answer selected by jafoust.
m
l
November 26, 2012 8:00:55 PM

RealBeast said:
As it is older, I will assume that it is USB 2.0. The little bump in the cable is a ferrite core that helps prevent radio interference, but the key is to get the same length (probably short since it is a device powered by the USB port). The other key is to get one with the correct connector on the drive end and a standard USB connector on the other that goes to the laptop. Does it look like this type: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&... Click on large view to see it well, and if the end connectors look different, look around the site, they have everything and it's all inexpensive but always works well for me.

edit: and once you get the correct cable and get it working -- BACK UP those photos to DVDs and store them off site if you really want them. Sooner or later that drive will die and or it will become corrupt, just look at all the posts about external drives suddenly converting to RAW files and not attaching.

YES! Thats the cable I need. I didnt know it was called a "Ferrite core" and most of the USB cables available were 6 feet long, which like you said, you need a shorter cable. I am definitely burning everything to CD's, we haven't had a chance to do so as of yet, but it's a priority now, once I get the data from the external drive.
Thank you very much!!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
November 26, 2012 8:44:37 PM

You bet, glad I could help.
m
l
!