Should I buy a 256G instead of 128G SSD?

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I found a Samsung 830 128G for $90. Should I grab it, or get 256G instead for more than double the price?

Here is my system and usage:

CPU: i5-2400
Memory: Corsair 4GB x 2 @ 1333MHz
MB: MSI H67
Graphics: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448
HDD: Samsung F3 500GB SATA 3

Current HDD free capacity : ~260 GB
Usage: Game 60%, Streaming Video 20%, Internet browsing 10%, MS Office 10%
Game: On steam - Borderlands 2, X-Com, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim, CIV V, Deux Es, Portal 1&2, Team Fortress
Not on steam - Diablo 3, Crysis

Solution
The question is: will you move Steam to the SSD? If yes, then get the big one. If not, your OS, office, messengers, browsers will fit on the smaller SSD without any hassles. Then you can use your old HDD for Steam and storage.

I know you did not ask this, but I would recommend keeping steam on hard drive bc SSD really does not make a difference in gaming performance outside of cutting levels' loading time by 40-60%. If it bothers you THAT much then sure, use SSD for games.

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
The question is: will you move Steam to the SSD? If yes, then get the big one. If not, your OS, office, messengers, browsers will fit on the smaller SSD without any hassles. Then you can use your old HDD for Steam and storage.

I know you did not ask this, but I would recommend keeping steam on hard drive bc SSD really does not make a difference in gaming performance outside of cutting levels' loading time by 40-60%. If it bothers you THAT much then sure, use SSD for games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS