Overheating Phenom II

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Probably a silly question,

just finished my first go at a gaming build this weekend, i have an Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AMD 880G mobo with a Phenom II x2 3.2Ghz BE 560, identified by mobo as a Phenom II x4 BE 955 which ive overclocked to 3.7Ghz.
Have no Gpu as of yet, that goes in next pay day, should be a 6850.

The system is stable running all apps, running 1080, playing HD films, multiple web pages, streaming ect ect with Cpu temp around 40-45c never exceeding 20% Cpu usage. Obviously without a Gpu i havent even bothered trying any games yet, but last night i downloaded Prime95 64bit version, and within 15-20 seconds at 100% Cpu usage, the CPU temp exceeds 65c and the system shuts down, either powering off or performing a memory dump and re booting.

Now i do only have a stock Cpu heatsink and fan, and 3 case fans, (which i intend on also upgrading payday with the new Gpu, probably Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler). My issue is even with stock cooling should my Cpu heat up that quickly under full load, and what are the chances of gaming with this set up ever pushing my CPU to 100% anyway? is there a way i can force my Cpu to hit 40 - 60% load and monitor temps that way?

Cheers Guys/Girls

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Its at 1.25

So do you think it will be Ok untill i replace the Heatsink as long is it stays below 20% Cpu load? this only ever hapens wen stressed by Prime95.

Votage is nice and low, have you got a shut down temp set in the bios?

Stock coolers are tat, def upgrade that and don't use too much thermal paste, just a little dot.

Too much is just as bad as not enough, re-do your heatsink and see if it makes a dif.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

archer7282

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a PII x4 945 and with the stock cooler installed used to get similar temps to yours (although it never shut down on me)

used to idle right around 40 and under load would run right around 62-64 degrees.

Put a coolermaster TX-3 on it (Hyper 212+ was to big for my case) and have seen enourmous improvements

idle is typically around 27-30 degrees, load does not exceed 45 degrees now

best of luck to you.

nate_2011

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
So do you both think once i have the sysem complete i could bring the voltage up a little more, 3.7Mhz Vcore at 1.40?

Ok ill give that a go untill i get the new heatsink.

The shutdown temp is set at 65c, i didnt want to increase this as im am unsure what temps could cause damage, i think i will keep stress levels low and drop the OC back down untill the build is complete, including new CPU cooler more fans and the GPU, then OC as more of a complete package.
Cheers for the document will defo use that advice when installing new heatsink.

Yeah as above I think i have the BIOS set to shut the system down around 65c, i didnt want to risk seeing how high it would go incase it didnt stop. I will make sure i get a decent CPU cooler, the type of temps you are getting would be perfect.

Cheers