Asus mars ii??

a dual 480?? with 3 8pin?? can it be??

that thing sounds wicked i bet it runs at like 105* and has jet turbines for coolers.
11 answers Last reply
More about asus mars
  1. 3 8 pins is highly unlikely, thats a hell of a lot of power, likely in excess of 400W, you then start running the risk of overheating other things in the case, i imagine that much heat in a case would shorten the life of everything unless you are running your system in a wind tunnel in the arctic.
  2. 3x 8-pin PCI-E would mean the chip is capable of using over 450Watts of power. This is highly unlikely.
  3. don't you mean 525w, 3-8pin+slot = 3x150+75 = 525

i don't see this happening either, and if it does, you are looking at a $1500 card at least
  4. The pcb for the Asus Ares has provisions for 3-8 pins , even though they only soldered on 2-8 pin and 1 6 pin.
  5. Asus Ares? Arent we talking about the Mars II?
  6. Yeah I was just pointing out that its not a big deal that it has xx power connectors. When the low power ATI chips need basically the same thing. But of course I'm sure it runs cool to.
  7. notty22 said:
    The pcb for the Asus Ares has provisions for 3-8 pins , even though they only soldered on 2-8 pin and 1 6 pin.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES/images/front.jpg

From an earlier thread on the same subject.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293238-33-dual-gf100-impossible-made-possible
  8. I want to see the heat throughput on that beast...
  9. OvrClkr said:
    I want to see the heat throughput on that beast...

I'm more interested in seeing the overall size once the HSF is on. :lol:
  10. notty22 said:
    Yeah I was just pointing out that its not a big deal that it has xx power connectors. When the low power ATI chips need basically the same thing. But of course I'm sure it runs cool to.

yea, I just don't understand how they made this possible. I assume that there will be a nice cooler added to this card, hopefully they raised the max heat threshold because rest assured this thing is going to hit 100c quite easily.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Asus Cooling Graphics