Printing to Windows 98 shared printer slow from Windows XP..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.

We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same if
you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.

We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.

I've search MS KB and found nothing.

Has any one got any idea?
3 answers Last reply
More about printing windows shared printer slow windows
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    See if this will offer any solution to your problem.
    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/winprint.html

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Matt Philpott" <mphilpott@dreweatt-neate.co.uk> wrote in message
    We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.

    We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
    both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
    attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
    mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same if
    you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
    have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
    shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.

    We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
    allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.

    I've search MS KB and found nothing.

    Has any one got any idea?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Found at fix at http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > See if this will offer any solution to your problem.
    > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/winprint.html
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Matt Philpott" <mphilpott@dreweatt-neate.co.uk> wrote in message
    > We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.
    >
    > We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
    > both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
    > attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
    > mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same
    > if
    > you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
    > have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
    > shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.
    >
    > We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
    > allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.
    >
    > I've search MS KB and found nothing.
    >
    > Has any one got any idea?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Glad you found the fix.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    --

    Found at fix at http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > See if this will offer any solution to your problem.
    > http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/winprint.html
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Matt Philpott" <mphilpott@dreweatt-neate.co.uk> wrote in message
    > We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.
    >
    > We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
    > both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
    > attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
    > mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same
    > if
    > you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
    > have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
    > shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.
    >
    > We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
    > allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.
    >
    > I've search MS KB and found nothing.
    >
    > Has any one got any idea?

Configuration Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP