Sign in with
Your question

IDe to SATA adapter

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2010 6:49:03 PM

Hello
I’m building a new computer for my daughter
I bought a new motherboard and an AMX X2-250, but I’m reusing some “old” equipment as well (PATA DVD drive and 2 x 160Gb E-IDE hard drives)
I’ve already installed Win XP SP3 on the system, consisting of 1 x 160Gb E-IDE drive (master) and the PATA DVD drive (slave)
But I want to install in the PC the 2nd hard drive, but the motherboard only has 1 PATA connector, so I can’t install a 3rd PATA device
I just bought a PATA to SATA adapter, and my question is:
Should I install that adapter on the boot disk, and then use SATA for the primary disc and keep the PATA port for the 2nd drive
Or should I leave the boot disk as it is right now (PATA) and install the adapter on the 2nd drive and use that data drive on one SATA port?

Thanks

More about : ide sata adapter

a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2010 7:24:43 PM

Back in the day when I was using PATA, I always liked to have my optical drives on one channel, hard drives on another. That said. It does make sense to use the adapter for your master drive, as to isolate it by itself. But either way you go, compared to sata, it's going to be slow.

Why not look at this drive?

http://3btech.net/whlamadate401.html

It is cheap, generic, but you would only have 35 bucks into it. I am guessing the speed would be a bit faster considering you are not limited by the interface. Get that, use it for a master drive, pop the two ide drives onto a single channel for storage, and then use the adapter for your optical drive. Just an idea.

However, if you are only using the ide drives. I think you will be fine either way. Keep in mind though, the way that your drives are mounted, if you want to use the ribbon cable on say the optical drive and a hard drive on one channel, you would probably need a set of these

http://3btech.net/bymobrkituse1.html

So best bet without spending money, ribbon cable the 2 hard drives together, then use your adapter for your optical drive.
m
l
!