Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Transfer rates to usb stick very slow

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2012 7:44:43 PM

I am using a W7 64 bit PC and transferring files onto a USB stick. I am transferring from an internal Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD to a 32 Mb USB stick and the process absolutely locks up my PC. Every other thing I'm doing on the PC slows to the point of not responding. I have the USB plugged into a multi USB 3 port that I added to my desktop. The transfer rate is about 5 MB/sec. 2 different USB drives of the same size gives me the same results.

Why so slow?
a c 351 G Storage
November 26, 2012 8:34:14 PM

Try updating the USB3 driver. Check MB manual (or card manual) for USB3 chipset, then google the driver.
November 26, 2012 10:03:51 PM

That seemed to help, the transfer rate is twice what it was, but the progress bar shoots to the right, almost complete, indicating an incredible rate and then sticks at almost complete for a nearly two minutes while my internet browsing quits responding and everything else freezes. The most recent file I moved was a 2Gb file and although it seemed lightning fast, after the progress bar froze it seemed to take about as long as it ever did.
Related resources
November 26, 2012 10:10:53 PM

Mine used to do that too! It took me forever to figure out why it kept doing that. I had to find very specific drivers for my USB controller. Even then it would happen occasionally, but I think it also has something to do with the actual drive. I noticed some drives will cause this issue while others work perfectly fine. To by honest I still can't nail down the issue exactly but it rarely if ever happens anymore

Best solution

a c 351 G Storage
November 26, 2012 11:38:33 PM

There is considerable differences in some of the USB thumbdrives.
Anymore I only buy USB3 thumbdrives. I try to pick the ones with the faster transfer speeds - If it does not list, then it's a slow one and I do NOT buy.

For low cost 16 gig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Faster/Larger: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NOTE: Reason I no longer buy the USB2 is twofold - A) USB3 are faster when used on USB2 than USB2 drives and B) Can take advantage of USB3 when used on other computers or when computer is upgraded, Or if a USB 3 card is purchased
November 28, 2012 10:45:14 AM

Best answer selected by rocks911.
November 28, 2012 10:47:01 AM

Thanks Chief.
I was Air Force @Kirtland AFB in Fire Dept in early 80's, got out after one hitch.
Thanks for your service, and thanks for your help.
a c 351 G Storage
November 29, 2012 3:35:06 PM

Spent 22 yrs, Retired 1983. Enjoyed my tour.
Take care and Enjoy
December 3, 2012 3:40:04 AM

Different flash has different transfer rate!
Normall, samsung flash is the best one, and the transfer rate can be up to 8M/s
I think your usb stick is with bad flash!
There is nothing to do with it, just to change a new one!
!