Sign in with
Your question

Computer lagging on even the most basic games

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2010 2:11:31 PM

Hi,

I've been having this problem for about a week now. If I play Heroes of Newerth or Call of Duty BlackOps either way my system will freeze up and make the games unplayable. Battlefield Bad Company 2 also freezes up but not AS bad. What happens is basically when I start playing the game freezes an insane amount making it completely unplayable. Call of Duty Black Ops varies slightly in that it freezes on the main menu screen :(  Counter Strike Source runs but doesn't run well at all. I get about 60fps with all settings turned to the lowest possible.

I have not made any hardware changes since the problem. My system is as follows...

Core 2 Duo E6600
4GB DDR2 RAM
Asus P5B
Nvidia GTX 460

I've tried some stress tests and monitoring temperatures when in game. My CPU tends to stay around the 50-60 mark when being HEAVILY stressed by tests but 45-55 in games. It's load remains at 100%. GPU stays around 45. I've tried reinstalling windows (switching from 7 to XP64bit) but I've had no luck what so ever. My PC used to play these games fine (well, I never got to test BlackOps as it's newly released) but it doesn't now :S I can't really find what the problem ACTUALLY is...

Can someone help me out?
November 10, 2010 2:29:53 PM

did you install drivers from windows update or the manufacturer's website?
November 10, 2010 2:40:11 PM

rand_79 said:
did you install drivers from windows update or the manufacturer's website?

I installed them from the manufacturers website (Asus + Nvidia)
Related resources
November 10, 2010 3:35:19 PM

Your cpu might be holding your gtx 460 back a little, that said you shouldn't be freezing in games. Mybe stuttering or poor frame rates but not freezing. I recommend running memtest as a boot disk to verify your ram is running properly. And if all possible, give your e6600 a little overclock, to around 2.8 to 3.0ghz.
November 10, 2010 3:36:57 PM

I'll try the overclocking but my E6600 has worked fine with the 460 on till recently.. :( 
November 10, 2010 3:39:37 PM

Does everything else run reasonably well? opening programs relatively quickly, things like that
November 10, 2010 3:42:08 PM

Yeah it does. It appears to be ONLY games causing me the problem. I tried flashing my BIOS just there and that did nothing to help. I've updated every driver as well.
November 10, 2010 4:06:27 PM

What power supply do you have? How old is it?

I see you updated your graphics card. maybe it was borderline when you updated you graphics.
November 10, 2010 4:27:47 PM

My power supply is about 3-4 years old. It's an X-POWER 700W. What makes you think it's the power supply? how would I test if it is for sure a PSU issue?
!