Sign in with
Your question

What is needed for gaming sequential or buffered read?

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2012 8:32:46 PM

Hi all,

Probably a noob question but do I need a better sequential read speed or buffered read speed when playing video games?
My SSD has a poorer buffered read speed than my HDD (which I am looking into) but better sequential, so I was wondering where I should be installing games?
Any help would be great,

cheers TBF
a b G Storage
November 26, 2012 8:39:32 PM

If you have the space everything on the SSD. The buffered read spead is just the 8 to 32 megs of ram on the old school drives it is faster than ssd as it is ram but this in no way makes it faster than an ssd in any way.

Thent
a b G Storage
November 26, 2012 8:48:12 PM

TheBrutalFlan said:
Hi all,

Probably a noob question but do I need a better sequential read speed or buffered read speed when playing video games?
My SSD has a poorer buffered read speed than my HDD (which I am looking into) but better sequential, so I was wondering where I should be installing games?
Any help would be great,

cheers TBF

Sequential, by far. Some SSDs don't even have a true buffered read since they don't use RAM (Sandforce drives, for example).

Since all your game files for modern games are way larger than any buffer on these drives, most of the data comes from the physical media not the small buffer on it (i.e., the buffer is too small for the game files typically). You'll be better off looking at sequential reads.

With HDD's, it is really obvious that sequential reads are important in game loads. The Seagate 7200 series for example, has some recent year drives at 500GB/platter while the WD Blacks from the same era featured 320GB/platter. The WE Black has twice the buffer size than the Seagate, yet the Seagate loads games considerably faster than the WD Black due to the higher density platter = higher sequential speeds (about 10MB/s -20MB/s faster in this case).
Related resources
November 27, 2012 8:34:06 AM

Thank you both for your help, has cleared that issue up for me.
Also I think part of the problem is that I have bought a OCZ agility 3 which, as I have continued to research, have turned out to be quite poor SSD drives, won't be taking recommendations from that friend again!
a b 4 Gaming
a c 102 G Storage
November 27, 2012 9:11:19 AM

An SSD's main advantage over a HDD is access times, which is virtually non-existent (under .01ms) compared to a HDD's ~10ms times.
This is the reason why multiple HDD's in RAID0 will still be beaten by an SSD when your in a Operating System usage scenario, where there are constant small requests for data rather than a continuous data transfer, which is where sequential read/write speeds come in.
!