jwitschi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hello,
Im building a new gaming pc and havent done so in about 7 years wow how things have changed i have a alienware predator 2.0 case a amd athlon 2 multi-core processor a m4a77td motherboard and plan on getting either the geforce gtx 295 or the radeon hd 5970 graphics card no ram or anything else bought yet but what power supply should i get to run these components properly? and i hope all these will work ok together?

GTX 295 would be a mistake. Nvidia has moved onto the 400 series. The GTX 480 is the closest competitive card to look at.

Look at the power supply requirements of the video card you choose, that will tell you how big of a power supply to get. Get a good quality power supply, bad ones could damage your motherboard, RAM, etc.

I said the 480 is nvidia's closest competitor for the 5970. Its a single GPU card.

The 5970 is an underclocked dual 5870 and the 295 was a dual 275. One problem with the duals is they literally are 2 GPUs in SLI/crossfire on one card and can run into the same problems with games that dont respond well to dual GPUs. Another problem can be heat and noise.

If you would put your request in the format suggested by the "how to ask for advice" sticky, we could make a recommendation to match your needs more precisely. Its possible these $700 graphics cards are a waste of money you will never see the benefit of.

TRENDING THREADS