Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's the difference between a cheaper and more expensive Mobo?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2011 3:19:11 AM

I'm currently working on my first ever computer build (geared towards gaming) and I was wondering the significance from a say $70-100 motherboard from a $300-400 one? Obviously the more expensive one will be better to justify the price, but does that give you an advantage per-say or anything else?

So far I'm thinking i5-2500k cpu as I've heard wonders about it and I need a mobo suggestion so this is where that question spawns from. :D 

More about : difference cheaper expensive mobo

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2011 7:03:03 AM

Well I don't know about spending $300 USD on a motherboard, but do not go bargain bin either. Other then feature bloat, the biggest difference will be in the number of layers and the quality of the components used. An el-cheapo board will start to have issues earlier in its life span due to leaky capacitors and failed resistors / diodes, the VRM modules are also of a lower quality and not as stable. That being said you don't need the super "everything and the kitchen sink" boards either. You want a mid-stream board that has all the required features and is from a reputable manufacturer. You will thank yourself later.
July 6, 2011 3:20:04 PM

Best answer selected by Parsnip.
m
l
!