Boot Problems

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2010 8:43:59 PM

I just finished building a new system. Here's the specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
CPU: 17-930
HDD: Samsung f3 spinpoint 1tb
GPU: Gtx 460

When I put the machine together it worked and went into BIOS setup. I moved to the boot order so it boots from cd first, disabled the floppy drive since I don't have one, then switched everything from IDE to AHCI. I also enabled usb mouse and usb keyboard to work in dos mode.

After that I tried to install windows 7 from the DVD, and now it doesn't work. When I boot up it flashes a quick screen that says no drives detected and then goes to the screen that says disk boot failure, instert system dvd and press enter, but I can't press enter because the keyboard doesn't work.

and when I try to boot with the windows 7 disk already in I get "The file is possibly corrupt. The file checksum doesn't match the computed checksum."

I already tried clearing the bios by pressing the button on the back.

Any ideas? Should I try taking out the battery on the motherboard?

More about : boot problems

August 23, 2010 10:28:41 PM

I plugged in an old non-usb keyboard and that worked, so I went into bios and reset it to default fail safes.

Now I'm no longer getting any errors on startup but I still can't install windows 7. Whenever I try using the dvd I keep getting the disk boot error, insert system dvd and press enter. But when I press enter it just replays the mesage.

I also tried installing windows via usb but the same message appears.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2010 10:54:57 PM

It sounds like your DVD drive may be acting up. Perhaps it has some kind of laser issue. Either that or the Win 7 DVD itself has an issue. Try swapping out your DVD drive. Also try booting off your Win 7 DVD on another PC without actually doing more than seeing if setup will start. This may help emininate any hardware issues.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2010 12:56:59 AM

What version of windows 7 is it? Is it a burned copy?

Try disabling all the other boot devices, except for the DVD drive.
August 24, 2010 2:47:02 PM

Do you have an original Windows 7 DVD?
!