Sign in with
Your question

Bottleneck? help

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2010 9:05:54 PM

So im currently running Intel quad core Q6600 2.66ghz, EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard,4 GB ram, 750W PSU, (2) GTX 460 SLI, GT 240 dedicated for Physx. i recently upgrade the video cards about 2 weeks ago, anyways i been playing Mafia 2 demo everything on high the game runs ok but when i benchmark i get an Average of 23FPS, i seen others on youtube with a single GTX 460 card get better results?!? :non:  these new cards not so great with the motherboard/processor?

More about : bottleneck

a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 9:21:16 PM

Its possible that the machines on Youtube were running higher end processors. The limitation of the Core 2 Quad processor is that it doesnt ramp up very well on single thread applications. Some i series chips have Turbo Boost which allows the CPU to ramp a single core as high as possible. Also those i series chips have much lower latency than their Core 2 Quad counterparts.
m
l
August 23, 2010 9:30:22 PM

Wamphryi said:
Its possible that the machines on Youtube were running higher end processors. The limitation of the Core 2 Quad processor is that it doesnt ramp up very well on single thread applications. Some i series chips have Turbo Boost which allows the CPU to ramp a single core as high as possible. Also those i series chips have much lower latency than their Core 2 Quad counterparts.

that was a bit Chinese to me lol, in other words is my setup ok?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 10:48:41 PM

Wamphryi is saying your slow quad core CPU is likely not keeping up with your graphics cards. The newer intel CPUs (i5, i7) will overclock themselves faster when you are not using all 4 cores, and most games only use 1 core. Overclocking your CPU to 3+GHz might give you a noticeable performance increase.

I have some question/comments:

What game do you play that uses PhysX?

You could disable or remove the 240 and one of the 260s. Some games actually play worse with SLI than they do on a single card. It could also even benchmark slower but play faster SLI. Benchmarks sometimes dont mean much or can even be misleading.

Are you comparing GTX 260s with 768MB RAM to other peoples GTX 260 with 1GB RAM? The 1 GB cards are substantially faster.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 11:27:02 PM

Your quad should easily bump up to 3.0ghz, that was what made these great processors. At 2.6ghz, that is a realatively slow CPU for gaming, especially with todays GPU's like the 460. People bought Q6600's to overclock them. A Q6600 at stock speed is not going to run a single 460 at it's peak, let alone a pair of them in SLI.
Yeah, you simply need a much better processor my friend.
m
l
August 24, 2010 1:38:26 AM

Maybe the game is not optimized for SLI yet. try it with a single card.
m
l
August 24, 2010 5:11:17 PM

Well i overclocked the CPU to 3.25ghz now i haz good numbers lol
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 5:48:45 PM

Excellent, congratz.
m
l
!