Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which of the 3 - 5850 Grafix Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2010 9:37:23 PM

Hello Everyone,
Once again I need some advice from all you smart people here at Toms Hardware.

Thanks to everyone that helped in my last post, I decided to go with the 5850 for a new grafix card to go in my new gaming rig. Now comes the next question. Of the 3, which one?

Here is what I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I only see one difference in the first 2 and XFX'x site didnt help any. One is totally encased with a cover, and one is open. One would think an open case would have better cooling. But I would think a closed case would channel it better to make up for it. But they are pcie x16 v2.1 and I'm uncertain if I want to chance if it'll work in the Crosshair III motheboard. I read they are backwards compatible, but some people had problems.

I am new to these higher end cards, so any info will help me greatly. As I understand, the 5850 will also O.C. a bit, should I choose to try it. I dont see documentation where any of these cards have a voltage control though. This is yet another lesson to learn on this system, (which is why I built it) I do plan to buy a second a little later on to try crossfire to see for myself the improvements/differences.

The third one ( the Sapphire) has all the same specs as far as I can see, but it borderlines my absolute max limit in budget(including shipping). However if it is a better card than the XFX, I may go for it, and at least it is pcie x16 v2.0.

More about : 5850 grafix cards

a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2010 10:02:28 PM

mild overclock = Sapphire 5850 vapor-x

insane overclock = Asus 5850 DirectCU

not so great 5850 with the best warranty = XFX 5850
m
l
July 19, 2010 11:14:39 PM

Thanks OvrClkr,
I've read enough of your answers to trust you with ANY overclock questions. Most of my research included cross referencing answers because everyone has their own opinion. I am confident with yours.

Sounds like Sapphire's better than XFX. I'm Looking for performance over warrenty. Overclocking a GPU is just an idea, just like crossfire, to learn about it. Mostly built the system to O.C. the 955 BE. $300 is credit card max.

Is this sapphire good for a newbee just learning?
SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) ( bottom link in the 3 above) I like running settings maxed to test my whole system grafic wise
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 12:19:02 AM

I don't think sapphire is better than XFX, maybe the cooler on the vapor-x version but the card is more or less the same. That sapphire on the third link is just as good as the XFX so in this case I would take the XFX cause you are comparing a 2 year warranty to a lifetime warranty.

July 20, 2010 1:50:45 AM

Thanks again OvrClkr,
I wish I could go for that Asus. Maybe in time.
Thanks again
m
l
July 20, 2010 1:53:56 AM

Best answer selected by david132.
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:26:33 AM

OvrClkr said:
I don't think sapphire is better than XFX, maybe the cooler on the vapor-x version but the card is more or less the same. That sapphire on the third link is just as good as the XFX so in this case I would take the XFX cause you are comparing a 2 year warranty to a lifetime warranty.

I know this thread is solved, but XFX has HORRID support. I mean seriously they told me TWENTY DAYS after they "sent" two replacement fans to me that they didn't even have any fans left. So I was left without a good video card for twenty days until I saw a decent cooler on craigslist, heck if I'm going to RMA it to a company that cannot even get their fan orders correct. I do agree though that three years versus two would be better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 2:30:56 AM

jasonpwns said:
I know this thread is solved, but XFX has HORRID support. I mean seriously they told me TWENTY DAYS after they "sent" two replacement fans to me that they didn't even have any fans left. So I was left without a good video card for twenty days until I saw a decent cooler on craigslist, heck if I'm going to RMA it to a company that cannot even get their fan orders correct. I do agree though that three years versus two would be better.

maybe you live outside the US and that's why you are having such a difficult time with XFX.. Here in the states as long as you register the card within the first 30 days you are good to go for life and if you sell the card to someone else the warranty remains the same, for life ;) 

I have built a few PC's with XFX cards and have not had one issue (knock on wood) to this date.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 2:59:24 AM

I live in Canada and XFX support has been excellent.
m
l
July 20, 2010 3:19:42 AM

OvrClkr said:
maybe you live outside the US and that's why you are having such a difficult time with XFX.. Here in the states as long as you register the card within the first 30 days you are good to go for life and if you sell the card to someone else the warranty remains the same, for life ;) 

I have built a few PC's with XFX cards and have not had one issue (knock on wood) to this date.

USA, they didn't even know that they ran out of replacement fans for my card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 4:17:21 AM

jasonpwns said:
USA, they didn't even know that they ran out of replacement fans for my card.

unfortunately the RMA process is a long wait with most companies including XFX, but you need to understand that when you RMA a video card you need to be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks because you are not the only one getting service. That's why you save up for a backup card ;) 
m
l
!