Shaw cable modem specs

wrongturn

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello:

I'm trying to get a better sense of the function of my Shaw cable modem. As far as I know, the cable modem acts as a Layer 2-bridge between the Shaw LAN and my PC/router. As far as cabling goes, between my PC/router is an Ethernet connection to the Shaw cable modem, but what is on the other side connecting the Shaw cable modem to the Shaw WAN? It seems to be a coaxial cable, but what data link protocol does it use (Ethernet, PPP?)? I've noted that I have to set the Ethernet connection between my PC/router and Shaw cable modem to half-duplex, otherwise I get collisions on the Ethernet connection, but I would have expected it to be full-duplex like on a switch? You know, one collision domain for the Ethernet connection between the PC/router and Shaw cable modem and another collision domain between the Shaw cable modem and the rest of the Shaw WAN?

Also, I have heard that the Shaw cable modem has an IP address that is masked? And possibly SNMP capabilities? Is that true? Is it possible to discover the masked IP address of the Shaw cable modem, and maybe do other stuff with it?

I've got other questions too about my Shaw Cable modem, but if you can answer any of the above I'll be more than happy.

Jan