Unable to change Read Only Attribute

June 10, 2005 4:44:56 PM

Any idea why I cannot change attribute of a new folder that I opened under
C:\ (folder name is TEMP)? I am trying to uncheck the Read-only box, I then
click Apply, OK, and when I go back to Properties this box is still checked.

(I am an administrator).

Thank you.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:44:57 PM

In news:%23EIP7udbFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
John <ein_shem@hotmail.com> typed:

> Any idea why I cannot change attribute of a new folder that I
> opened
> under C:\ (folder name is TEMP)? I am trying to uncheck the
> Read-only
> box, I then click Apply, OK, and when I go back to Properties
> this
> box is still checked.

If you'll look more closely at the check mark in that Read-Only
box, you'll see that it's gray, not black. You can also verify
this by clicking a few times in the box; it will cycle among
*three* states: unchecked, checked in black, and checked in gray.

A black check means the item is read-only and an unchecked box
means it's not read-only. But the gray check means that it's
neither: the read-only attribute is not pertinent to folders.

So no, your folders aren't read-only, and what you are seeing is
perfectly normal. There's nothing to worry about and nothing to
fix.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!