Intel turbo boost overclock

tiago1990

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Hello,

can i constant use the max capicity of my intel turbo boost? Or does anyone knows how i can accomplish this? I have a Dell Studio 15, i5. Any help is appreciated! I am totally noobish when it comes to these topics, so please don't blame for this
question!;)
Thnx

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Your dell studio may not allow you to tinker in the bios, but typically (with a personally built sys) you can disable the turbo boost and clock the cpu to whatever you like for full time performance...

if you can access this setting in your bios it will be under cpu config/ options/ near the multiplier, or voltage settings...

be careful not to mess around with those settings unless youve done some research on how to do so (i mean about the multi's and voltage...)

good luck

tiago1990

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I don't have a personally built system, its just a regular one that you can buy directly online. But (since i am a rookie in this) how do i know where i can access my bios? I'm sorry to ask you this, feel little dumb atm. But still. Thanks anyway for the reply so far!

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
when you boot up your computer it will show the dell logo (or something) catch it there by pressing delete or f1 and it should get you into the bios - from there you will find many (or barely any at all - its hit or miss with household brands)

NasaEagle

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I have 2 Dell Alienware Desktops - i7-960 - i7-980X: the normal clock speed is 3.2 & 3.33/ Maximum Turbo-boost is about 3.4 & 3.6 respectively. At any time you should be able to use the turbo boost feature. This depends on your settings for adjusting power. On Windows 7 - go to Control Panel, Adjust power settings: Two choices:
Choosing "Balanced" automatically balances performance allowing your turbo boost to kick in when needed and go to max. Choosing "High Performance" maxes out your processor speed continually, also using more energy. Tip: If you are going to run your processor at max all the time, I would check your cooling devices (fans, liquid cooled units) which you may have or not, to be sure your processor does not get too hot - this will eventually shorten its life. NasaEagle

TRENDING THREADS