Sign in with
Your question

Dell X1 Instalation

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 1:20:26 AM

Hello,
I have a Dell Latitude X1 that I need to get an operating system instlled on. It does not have any drives other than the Hard Drive that has been wiped clean. I have tried using a usb cd drive, a fire wire cd reader, a thumb drive, and a compact disk, and always get "No Bootable Devies Installed". How can I install an operating system on this unit?

More about : dell instalation

a c 79 G Storage
November 27, 2012 12:31:02 PM

You'll need to buy a Dell D-Bay optical drive for it, which was an optional extra when the notebook was new. Too bad the original owner didn't choose to have one fitted.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 27, 2012 12:47:14 PM

Ah, I recall having to do something awkward with an older laptop I was trying to install an OS on from a cd. I can't quite remember what it was but I think it went something like: just disable the hard drive entirely from the boot devices if possible. and make sure you restart the laptop with the usb drive in the system already.

I think thats all that was required. It should work with any of those options but you would need to change the boot order in the bios. I wrote the above on the assumption that you already tried that and got said results.
m
l
!