Sign in with
Your question

New Build - SSD & SATA Question

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 4:00:21 AM

In the past I've just used a single SATA drive. While researching components for my build, I picked up quite a few realizations about others using a SSD drive for the OS system and other softwares, then using a SATA drive for storage or running other less used programs. So my questions:

1) How does one figure out what larger programs to put on the SSD and where do you draw the line? Most used softwares? I'm going to get Windows 7 Pro and that would run off the SSD. Are there some good links you could suggest that would be more detail oriented on do's and don'ts?

2) How does one set-up a SATA drive so that it is used for storage as well as running other software programs on it?

3) How do you figure out what size SSD & SATA to use? is there a rule of thumb to follow?

4) Then there's the issue of backing up, of which currently I use an external HD to back up, rather a pain at times, as some larger file names from saved internet files don't always transfer. I don't like the idea of losing a lot of my photography images to a drive dying and paying out the nose for someone to recover them. Can you recommend some quality and easy to use backup programs or other ways to preserve digital images and files that is efficient and fool-proof for the most part. I've got 50gb of digital images and I'm getting nervous having them on an external HD or internal one and having it dying on me. Are there archival quality ways of storing important images and docs? Even DVD's can become corrupt after burning them?

I7-2600k
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Corsair DDR3 1600 32gb
Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Corsair PSU 750W
Corsair H100 WC
Windows 7 Pro
a c 94 G Storage
November 27, 2012 5:03:00 AM

Largely a personal thing, there's no set rules. If you use a program enough, if its important and you think will benefit from the extra speed, then put it on the SSD.
Typical things to put on there is Microsoft Office, whatever browser your using, small programs, benchmarks. Any games that will receive a big benefit to shorter loading times (Skyrim, Fallout 3 are good examples) are also good candidates to put on the SSD as well.

Well, get your blank drive and plug it in. Then dump your files (music, documents, movies, etc) onto it. You have now set it up as a storage drive. Doing other automatted things like making sure your browser and torrent client download to there and other small optimizations are good.
When you install programs that you dont want on the SSD, just make sure to tell it to install to the HDD. It will run off there just as well as if it was on C:

At least 128GB for the SSD, that gives you enough room to install Windows and programs, while still having some room left over.
The HDD is however much you need, only you can answer that.

Ironically one of my HDD's has just started to throw up warnings and I'm in the same position. f you find any good programs do tell, tough I have heard about Acronis being fairly good. Not sure myself though.
!