Dell T110-II memory upgrade

FARDEMAR

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hello

I actualy have a new DELL PowerEdge T110-II Server. Unfortunately I didn't know that for a 32GB memory extention the cost is around 3400$. Now I am looking to find compliant UDIMM to be able to install 32gb of RAM.
Does anyone know which compliant memory can be installed on such server to reach these 32GB or at least 4*4GB for 16GB of RAM.

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,

Marco

raprice3

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
For a while the RAM was not being manufactured. I recently purchased 8GB modules from memory-up.com (it is black diamond memory), and they work fine. Earlier modules I ordered did not work, they need to have the x8 configuration (whatever that means).

My server came with 4 GB ram (2x2gb). I was told by dell technical support to install the 8 GB modules in channel 1 (the white tabs) and the 2GB modules in channel 2 (the black tabs). It also seemed to work by mixing the 8GB and 2GB modules in the channels also. In the end I did as suggested by technical support.

When mixing the ram sizes I got an error message: dell unsupported memory configuration dimm mismatch across slots detected. By pushing F1 it worked with no problem at all. In the BIOS, I disabled the F1/F2 error setting, and that allowed the computer to boot without waiting for the F1 press to continue. Admittedly it is probably not a good thing to ignore error messages. If not mixing the RAM, I did not get the error messages. Dell technical support didn't have an answer other than it is non-Dell memory.

My server is running Centos 6.0 (a RedHat clone).