Clan membership

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2005 9:53:58 AM

**To preface this question, I want to make note once again that I am fairly
new to the UT gaming world. Forgive my ignorance.**

OK, what are the benefits of membership in a clan? I can think of some of
the obvious - perhaps rights to play on password protected servers,
scheduled team games and the comraderie. Some of these things, like team
gaming and meeting other players can be accomplished by loading up gamespy,
joining games and being respectful.

Are there disadvantages? That is, are there some unwritten rules that you
should only play on your own clan hosted servers? That your name and sprite
look must match up with those of your clan? Are there hidden obligations?
Plus, there must be a minimum skill level which is acceptable. I'd hate to
try out and let a team down if my efforts are not a boost to any team
battles.

If there are any thoughts on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Mud_Jack

More about : clan membership

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2005 2:02:58 PM

On 2005-02-13 07:53:58 -0500, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net> said:

> **To preface this question, I want to make note once again that I am
> fairly new to the UT gaming world. Forgive my ignorance.**

Don't worry about that, everyone was new to UT at some point, and if
they forget that, then screw 'em. Even though UT is an old game, there
are still people that are just discovering it and finding out how much
fun it is to play.

> OK, what are the benefits of membership in a clan? I can think of some
> of the obvious - perhaps rights to play on password protected servers,
> scheduled team games and the comraderie. Some of these things, like
> team gaming and meeting other players can be accomplished by loading up
> gamespy, joining games and being respectful.

All you listed above is true. There are opportunities for non-clan
members to get into tourneys as well, but they seem to be few and far
between. And let me say that "being respectful" will get you VERY far
and most people appreciate it. Some clans don't take applications for
membership, they only ask those that they like and that's it. Other
clans do take applications and have tryouts. Your attitude is 1/2 the
game.

My suggestion would be to find some servers that have the style of play
that you like (DM, TDM, Sniper, CTF, etc.) and play on those for a
while and get to know the people in those clans as well as see how they
present themselves and how they run their server. Also, join thier
forums (fi they have them) and introduce yourself, this is also a great
way to get to know them and they you. This will tell you a LOT about a
clan. If you find one that you like, ask them. They will tell you what
their policy on membership is, if it's not already posted in their
forums.

> Are there disadvantages? That is, are there some unwritten rules that
> you should only play on your own clan hosted servers? That your name
> and sprite look must match up with those of your clan? Are there
> hidden obligations? Plus, there must be a minimum skill level which is
> acceptable. I'd hate to try out and let a team down if my efforts are
> not a boost to any team battles.

The rules depends on the clan. I don't think that you "have" to use any
particular skin, but they would tell you that. I don't know of any clan
that restricts their members to playing on just thier servers. It's
actually a good thing to play on other clan's servers cuz you get to
know the other clans that you may end up playing in matches later on
and get you familiar with how they play. You should wear the clan tag
on your name if you are in one. You joined, or were asked to join, so
you should be happy/proud to wear the tag. As for the name, as long as
you aren't choosing a name that is already in use or is offensive, I
don't think it really matters. All the clans that I know of have "dues"
to help pay for the servers they run, and some take donations on top of
that as running servers is not cheap! The dues are ususally normally
pretty nominal I would think, like $5/month. There are usually
scheduled practices and such so you all get a chance to play together
and learn how to work together and use each others strengths and help
with the weaknesses.

As far as your skill, just keep playing and you'll get better.

> If there are any thoughts on this, I'd sure appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mud_Jack
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
February 28, 2005 4:29:31 AM

Wow! there ya go... you wrapped that one right up very nicely. myself, as
a clan leader myself, must agree with every thing said here... There are
pros and cons in joining clans. Find a server you like, play on it, meet
the people there... and all that stuff... My clan is a Camping Sniping Clan.
I am UTSA aka UTSA Clan, and Server rentals... :)  Come visit us some
time... We have forums, and all that good stuff. http://www.utsasnipers.com

Rgds.
Claude
aka [UTSA]Destructor in the UT world...